LOST iPhone 5 at SF Decompression

blondie
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: DUSTFISH

LOST iPhone 5 at SF Decompression

Post by blondie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:20 am

My iPhone 5, black, was taken at SF Decompression. I hope they just chucked it, and someone found it. Long shot, I know, but still worth a try....Blondie

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: LOST iPhone 5 at SF Decompression

Post by trilobyte » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:28 am

If you'd updated to iOS 7 and had Find Your Phone set up, you can send a message to the device, as well as give a number to call, and even lock it so the phone can't be wiped/reset without using your AppleID. Good luck!

blondie

Post by blondie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Unfortunately, when I pulled it up on the computer, it said it was offline. So, either Apple forgot to tell us that with IOS 7, we had to re-set it up, even though it was set up to start with, or that application does not work if they turn the phone off. I had to disconnect the line immediately, so that cancels any chance I have of wiping it. Thank you though for the advice. Please check yours, if you do have one, and make sure it is truly set up. This really sucks, because it was unlocked when the guy jumped in his car and took off with it.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:06 am

It actually comes up on the device during the upgrade process. You have to touch the button to say that yes you want to set up the additional features, and then it walked you through what was necessary to do that. Anyhow, sorry to hear the news. If/when the device is replaced, make sure that it gets set up on the replacement, as that feature makes a stolen device nearly worthless to thieves, unless they break it down for parts.

blondie

Post by blondie » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:45 am

Thank you !! One thing that still bothers me to no end though. is that the whole thing does not work, unless the phone is left on and connected to the internet. By the time I could get home to my computer to try to use the application, (only one hour later) the phone was turned off or the battery died. I had to cancel service immediately at this point, which makes the program completely useless. So, unless you have your computer with you, and they don't turn off your phone, AND they are connected to the internet, it simply does not do a thing to help you. UG.

Return to “Lost Gadgets (Cameras, Phones, MP3 Players)”