Wheelchair user at Burning Man

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
jimstamper

Re: Wheelchair user at Burning Man

Post by jimstamper » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:43 pm

I think I read all of the posts and no one gave a linkie for the mobility camp. they have been helpful with art tours that can hold a wheel chair they run 3 trips a day and you have to sign up the day before unless there is room try mobilitycamp.org Last year I think it was they had handicapped people from Germany camping with them J
Without Geometry there is no point!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:54 pm

This thread lived out its full life and died (of natural causes) long before the partial list of theme camps was made available for this year's event, and the folks from the Black Rock Dimensions Of Accessibility have not yet come around to post about their plans for 2014.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:03 pm

mrMAKdaddy wrote:Hi ALL,

Sorry it as taken a while to reply I have been extremely busy at work! Cant wait for this trip to get away from it all for a while :).

Thanks for the advise ExpressoDude, I have decided to go for a power assisted handcycle as this allows the front wheels to be lifted from the ground, which many people are recommending, it also allows me to benefit from not having to manually cycle all of the time and give my arms a break, furthermore if the battery does go on the handcycle I can manually cycle the chair back to my RV. But most of importantly it was affordable, picked a bargain up on ebay :).

Thanks also The Rat Lady I have sent you a private message and I have visited the brcdoa website which is very helpful. I am currently looking into purchasing some smooth, wide tyres for the playa!

theCryptofishist wrote:I'll make that a link, so it's easier (at least mentally) to get there.
http://brcdoa.com/
Thanks for the Link Fishy :).

mrMAKdaddy
jimstamper--not true. This is at least the third time it's been posted as a link, and it was also posted without being linked.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:07 pm

trilobyte wrote:This thread lived out its full life and died (of natural causes) long before the partial list of theme camps was made available for this year's event, and the folks from the Black Rock Dimensions Of Accessibility have not yet come around to post about their plans for 2014.
its just a flesh wound!!

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Stive2collin
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: No

Post by Stive2collin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 am

Skywater wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:49 am
I think this question was answered quite thoroughly, but I'll throw in my two cents for what it's worth.

I definitely remember that some people were using wheelchairs (I only noticed motorized ones) this past time. I noticed a wheelchair user dancing at Robot Heart in the Deep Playa, which is quite a distance from where the themed camps are located.

I imagine the Deep Playa would be easier to ride across because there are fewer ruts than where the camps are. The ruts around the themed camp streets accumulate over the course of the week, and there are fewer earlier in the week. There are also intermittent spots in the Deep Playa where the dust accumulates and that might slow you down for just a sec as you power through depending on wheels and the amount of power. I'm pretty shrimpy, and occasionally when I was riding on my bike, I'd hit one of these dust buildups, would have to stop peddling, and then restart while my stronger friends were able to peddle through it. I agree with Fishy that the culture of BM is such that people are super helpful in general and approach each other freely, and that if you got stuck, it would not be long at all before someone would help.

I wonder whether others can speak about this - there might also be a way to get special permission to use a car (perhaps a rental car if you are all coming from afar?). One member at our camp broke his foot putting up our shade structure and had to get stitches. He went to Reno for care and then, like a total boss, returned for the rest of the week. Because crutches were not feasible for transportation, he got special permission to drive his car or be driven in it by someone else. If this is possible for non-emergency situations, it might be a handy option for longer journeys into the Deep Playa. I don't know whom you'd ask about this special permission or whether you'd want this, but it may be an option. Maybe the DOA people would have answers?
I'm just astonished what would you shoot with that?

The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Mobility Camp

Post by The Rat Lady » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:34 am

Mobility camp http://www.mobilitycamp.org/ is the new website. There is lots of info on how to prepare your chair, (Both Manual and Electric) survival guide for those with mobility challenges, and the like.

Yes, you can get a rental car licensed as a Disabled Vehicle with your state issued Placard and paperwork.

Even Electric ones can get stuck if the deep playa has soft spots! That is IF your chair or scooter has the range to go out and back.

Feel free to ask any questions that may come up:
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”