Lag screws vs everything else...

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Lag screws vs everything else...

Post by Ratty » Sat May 12, 2018 8:18 am

So, I finally decided on a set of batt op tools. Since I'm not going to use them much and I'm very respective of my tools I settled on ryobi. I saw a lot of brand loyalty and men playing with their toys. I talked to customers and salesmen. (Yes they were all men.)

PLUS, they're lime green like a 73 Kawasaki.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Sat May 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Ratty wrote:So, I finally decided on a set of batt op tools.
Lime green for the win!
If you need charging, come on over. I'm set up to do the Ryobi batteries via solar.

You'll need a 1/4" impact to 3/8" socket adapter ($4) and a 9/16" socket (you probably already have one) to drive the 14" lag screws.

BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Post by BaudEByter » Thu May 31, 2018 12:27 pm

Was your mule tape shiny/slippery? I got 500ft for this purpose but when trying knots like a square knot, this stuf slipps pretty bad. I got 3/4 2500lbs
DoctorIknow wrote:
danibel wrote: I see mule tape used on this thread, but I am not by any means a knot expert. I don't want to leave to chance (or lack of knowledge) the ability to safely secure my big ass shade.
Chain is great but takes a hella lotta time, tools, and money
Mule tape is stronger than some of the chain that can fit lags that is found in big box hardware stores.

So if you go mule:

-----Take 10" of 3/4" mule tape. Only use 3/4"
-----Tie a square knot. It's a quick knot to learn, and if you do it incorrectly, it is obvious to the eye.
-----Tie however many you need before hand.
-----Pull each one very tight to make sure the ends of the tape are not too close to the knot. There is some slippage, but not much.

Once on the playa:

---Put a heavy washer on the Lag screw.
---Dig a little hole with a hammer claw end where you want the lag screw to go. (this gives you an extra inch or two in the depth of the lag, as depending on the conditions of the playa, the strength of the screw threads vs. rebar only happens in the compacted and -sometimes wet playa that usually not close to the surface.
---Pound the lag screw in the playa a few inches, no more. This steadies the lag and gives you more control about the angle you choose.
---Impact wrench the lag until there is just enough space to slip on the mule tape in a loop fashion EXACTLY like in the pic.
---Finish sinking the lag.
first mule on lag.JPG

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Thu May 31, 2018 4:52 pm

BaudEByter wrote:Was your mule tape shiny/slippery? I got 500ft for this purpose but when trying knots like a square knot, this stuf slipps pretty bad. I got 3/4 2500lbs
  • Yes, mule tape is very slippery and demands you use the correct knot for the use of it.

The square knot (aka. Reef Knot) is usually used to Join two ends of a single line to each other.

NEVER put load on one of the running ends. That is not a job for a square knot.
Also, are you sure you are tying the square knot correctly?

Check the illustration below against how you tie the knot.
square knot.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”