Will Call sucked real bad

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
delle

Re: Will Call sucked real bad

Post by delle » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:11 am

unjonharley wrote:The Reno fathers would have a shit fit>> You want to have hundreds of BM junk parked on the streets of Reno.. An office in Reno would not change the cluster fuck.. Burners-than-tho would be parking on top of one another..Hordes of scalper..
Line jumpers.. A complainer at each widow holding the line for hours at a time.

It would S-O-S.. Same old shit, different window..
Actually, I see it completely the opposite. No longer a last minute deal means fewer people per hour, and the scalping taking place in Reno would be WAY harder to do if the vendor has to stand next to you in line for an immediate outcome rather than sending you off to the playa on an expensive hope and a prayer. It would do nothing for internet scalping, but at least you're in Reno, rather than having spent all your money on supplies you won't need and the day waiting in line before having your heart broken.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:23 am

Have no dog in this fight as never gone will call.The idea of a Reno box office makes too much sense.Thus it will be 3.5 years before it is implemented.

As far as the Reno city fathers goes.Almost anything that will bring people in to the city they are in favor of.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Rice wrote:The TicketFly folks directed a huge number of people to Will Call without notifying them in advance. The staff levels were inadequate for the number of people who needed to use Will Call... Had they been told, I know that Will Call would have been twice the size and had many more staff. - It was not possible to change the design of Will Call once it was in operation! - they also had a limited number of volunteers (hint: volunteer for Will Call if you want to really help).

There will be discussions regarding this at the post-burn meetings with the BM Org. (and at the planning meetings for next year's burn)
There! I knew there'd be a reasonable story at some point...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

juego52
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Juego

Post by juego52 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:51 pm

I was awarded a low-income ticket, so I had to go to Will Call. I arrived in line at 11:00pm, Sunday nite and got my ticket the next day at 4:00am. The process was extremely slow.

My biggest bitch is the parking at Will Call. There were empty spots closer, but i was directed to South 40. The parking crew threatened if i didn't follow their instructions, i would be told to leave. Where i parked there were no lights or no monuments telling me where i parked. I had a hell of a time find my car after getting my ticket.
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”- Buddha

SageV

Post by SageV » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:09 am

Sham wrote: Can someone please give me a few reasons why they would willingly do will call?
STEP tickets go through will call.
The six hour, one time delivery tickets go through will call.
A lot of foreign burners tickets have to go through will call because of lack of reliable, verified mail service in their country.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

SageV

Post by SageV » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:15 am

Bless wrote:I had my ticket in hand, but an RV-mate was low-income, so she needed to pick up her ticket at Will Call. We waited there for seven hours on Sunday night. It was miserable.
Best tactic for that is to plan with your camp mate to abandon the RV before the gate with water, snacks, and gifts for the other miserable bastards in will call. You can then hitchhike your way in someone else's vehicle, as front gate will not let you in on foot. I've tried to have the argument about coming in on foot with the org before, to no avail, as I've walked into the Burn before and been turned back. Usually, if you are carrying beer to give away, the waiting time to snag a spare vehicle seat in some new friend's vehicle is minimal.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Omitimo
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Hammer & Cyclery

Post by Omitimo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:06 am

Our crew rolled into Will Call late on the 22nd, so we missed all of the suck. We had a great time. Dayyyum tho, if the hardest part wasn't rolling in from the hi-way. I felt too tired to be giddy about coming Home until we turned off the pavement. The line was great, radio was playing fun music. I think we waited a couple hours in Will Call, our "camp leader" was the one who went to the window so the rest of us got to mingle. I met a couple that I saw periodically through our Burn. We exchanged Beer for Cider. Yum.
It was great fun!
The truck was directed to the far end of the lot and the van was directed to right in front(really, thanx for the solid, Dude). There was a lot of to and fro between. On one of my trips, I picked up some paper blowing in the wind and my campmate asked what it was I said moop and jokingly said I guess its not moop if we're not inside yet and threw it back on the ground. I, and he knew there was no intention of leaving it there, but at the same time we both realized it was probably tickets.
It was, yikes! On our way to the window to inform them of found tickets, we ran into a
red dread. We told her what was up, she was sorta heading the way we came from, she convinced us they probably belonged to her camp. She said if they didn't she would bring them back to the window.
I really didn't take part in any of that process so I am not completely sure they were tickets on regla 9x11 printed out paper, thinking back tho, and knowing how scarce tickets were from reading the board, I fear we gave away some bodies Burn.
Were will call tickets different than those fancy ones sent in the mail?
-lemme know when my post count is high enough for me to be a jerk too

smiffman

Post by smiffman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:48 am

digitalfuckboy wrote:I had a will call ticket and my wife and family patiently waited 5.5 hrs in line. Someone leaving said she waited 9! Since we were on the playa, we acted like it and enjoyed each other's company as most everyone was. I did not witness any cutting in line and was vigilant (off and on) to discover any. This was 8pm arrival Sunday night. Then, we slept at the greeter's station as it rained muddy burner.

The waiting was hard EXCLUSIVELY because my dumb ass stayed up all night packing. All told, we and friends spent 27 hours traveling from Reno before hitting camp. Frankly, it was AMAZING. Nobody plans to make things go wrong like that and nothing delayed entry more than the sweet, juicy rain that somehow remains blameless.

If something didn't go horribly wrong, it wouldn't be life. Also, if someone didn't enjoy waiting in line with the most inspiring people on earth, it wouldn't be wise.

I'm pretty sure it's known something bad happened but I would rather wait in that will call line than get irradiated or have my pants reached into by agents of the fakest security system ever built. SO MUCH LOVE!! As usual, BEST BURN EVURRR!

This happened to me too....

They closed off the roads when it started to rain before we were about to get in. We waited in queue all night till 9 am next morning then "Mini Distrikt" started going till they opened the gate for us. This was the best and most organic line wait party ever, it was great. Still think it was one of the best parts of my burn, waiting to get in..............

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:16 pm

SageV wrote:A lot of foreign burners tickets have to go through will call because of lack of reliable, verified mail service in their country.
The mail service is plenty reliable in their countries (possibly more so than in the US), but BM does not mail tickets internationally. So if you are a foreign burner, unless you have a friend in the US who gets the tickets for you, you are going to stop at will call. No choice.

Joeln
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Omitimo wrote:Were will call tickets different than those fancy ones sent in the mail?
Annie's will-call ticket looks identical to the one I got in the mail.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

SunrayU75
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Quixote

Post by SunrayU75 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:41 am

unjonharley wrote:The Reno fathers would have a shit fit>> You want to have hundreds of BM junk parked on the streets of Reno.. An office in Reno would not change the cluster fuck.. Burners-than-tho would be parking on top of one another..Hordes of scalper..
Line jumpers.. A complainer at each widow holding the line for hours at a time.

It would S-O-S.. Same old shit, different window..
Eh? Reno is primarily a car park and there are some places I noticed that are unused retail buildings with staggeringly vast parking areas. I reckon it'd cope no problem.

Peeps would get their tickets while doing their shopping. Pop over, check out the line, oooo too big come back later. When there is other things to be doing people self organise and the whole experience would be far slicker.

Lots of sound reasons to have a Reno box office and it wouldn't cost much more to organise.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:27 am

Instead of solving a problem that could be solved via a number of relatively simple ideas (More staffing! Less Will-Call tickets! Make the actual "line" longer! Ironing out the first-year issues with TicketFly! Working on the internet infrastructure to prevent downtime and increase speeds!) or any other number of relatively simple and actually possible solutions, lets move the entire Will Call operation to a new spot, two and a half hours away from the line, and create a whole new set of complex issues!

Great idea!

You volunteer first.

"Wouldn't cost much" being a statement in any idea is a surefire way to guarantee that it hasn't been thought out in the least bit.

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”