Voided ticket list never updated

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Voided ticket list never updated

Post by pink » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:26 pm

On another message board, someone posted about buying paper tickets in early July that upon entry found out they had been voided. His beef is that he checked the voided tickets list when buying and they weren't on there. Now I know he has no recourse against the BORG, and there are several steps he didn't take that could have helped him take action against the seller. However, the voided tickets list was never updated past the initial posting of a few tickets. I asked during the sales why this was and never got an answer. So now that things have quieted down some, I'm asking the question again. What happened to the voided tickets list????
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Voided ticket list never updated

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:48 pm

That would be a good item for the official BM feedback form on the main page. There is a workaround at the gate, but it is not free. Any solution is going to increase the costs of ticketing, which I think I heard were $1M?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Yup, this definitely isn't the place to get official answers to your question. Almost everything regarding ticket scammers that eplaya has to offer will be found either on this page or the links included on that page. viewtopic.php?f=367&t=68722

I believe there also is an email address that you can use to contact ticket sales, though I don't know what it is off hand.

Sorry
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:17 pm

That list says that it isn't necessarily comprehensive and to take all other other precautions you can. We were warned over and over. He may choose to blame it on that list, but that's choice, not reality.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:35 pm

Out of curiosity, how / why does this scam happen? Did the seller purposefully void and have the tickets re-issued?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Judging by the fact that they essetially didn't send a bunch of tickets at the last minute, but instead had the participants pick them up at will call, the change of vendors go everyone so far behind that they didn't have any opportunity to update.

People who are making a ticket deal on line (craigslist, for example) will ask for the serial number, or even a photo with serial number clearly visible, so that they know it's a legitemate ticket. Of course, you can keep on showing the same photo...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:03 pm

The list was short this year, but had actually been updated. As is always the case, an order # not appearing on the list is no guarantee that it is valid, or it could have been voided at some later date. Tickets that are voided later in the game may not make the list. However, when a ticket order is voided the original purchaser is contacted, and directed to return the tickets to Burning Man for a refund. They're also advised that if they sell voided tickets or fail to notify their purchaser that the tickets have been voided could have criminal repurcussions (I don't know the exact wording that's used).

Assuming your friend still has the contact information for the seller, their recourse would be to contact the authorities - as the person who sold them the tickets committed a felony. Once your friend has a case #, they can send that info to Burning Man using the fraud@burningman.com address, and of course Burning Man will cooperate with the authorities in any criminal investigations.

pink

Post by pink » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:10 pm

I just received a bunch of emails from ticket support in response to a bunch of eBay tickets I flagged for being scalped,,two of which appear to have been direct distribution tickets. They got 'lost' apparently, and were never answered or looked at. So I can see why a lot of people on here were getting frustrated at no answers from ticket support.

I'll pass on the info though, Trilo.

nncoco

Post by nncoco » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:32 am

What causes a ticket that has been printed and delivered to make this list?

pink

Post by pink » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:25 pm

Scalped or part of an order where one was scalped

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 am

If there's only NINE tickets on the list, it ceases to be a thing that anyone should ever bother to think about, or be telling others to check.

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”