Reselling or donating camping equipment?

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Reselling or donating camping equipment?

Post by danibel » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:The more we facilitate people being able to attend and not take care of their own shit, the more of this we create.
Why the hell do people choose to fly to an event unable to carry in and out all their shit, to an event where that’s what you need to do?
It's a fabulous question. I think the cat is out of the bag and they are going to come no matter what we do. The org could filter sales to regional areas, but that whole "radical inclusion" thing gets into the mix.

I don't know the answer. I am just grateful that some people are wiling to make it easier for folks to reuse, recycle, and reduce the overall footprint.
In dust we trust.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:The more we facilitate people being able to attend and not take care of their own shit, the more of this we create.
From what I just read on their website, I have no problem with PlayaPads. Seems like all they do is assemble a good basic set of gear and rent it out off playa. In that sense, I don't think they're any worse than Walmart or REI. Minimizing the amount of gear that needs to be transported each year is a common theme, whether for international/long distance travelers or just theme camps renting storage units in nearby cities.

If they were actually coming out to the playa to set it up for customers, then I'd have a problem with it. In the grand hierarchy of things, it seems to me things like RV delivery services and outfits that will set up your gear for you are a bigger issue than offsite equipment rentals.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:04 pm

This topic comes up often questioned by fly in burners.

Connect with the Nevada regional/ Reno burners to discuss.

Used dusty camping equipment is a cost to handle and clean. Donated to Nevada homeless requires inventorying parts and washing dust off.

So set expectations. You paid X incoming. You will pay minus X to donate.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Leave No Trace”