Settle This Like Men is returning!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
uncle sticky

Settle This Like Men is returning!

Post by uncle sticky » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm

If you're a martial artists, and would be interested in putting on a basic class on playa, we're bringing back an improved version of our fight ring! In the past we've had Thai boxing, jiu jitsu, capoeira, TKD, and free for all styles. We will have some basic gear, including two sets of sparring gear. Padded mat, shade.

Let me know if you might want to put on an hour demo/class.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

GrassCuttingSword
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Re: Settle This Like Men is returning!

Post by GrassCuttingSword » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:29 pm

If I make it to the playa this year, I'd be happy to play. I teach at a club that practices a mix of bare-knuckle boxing, catch wrestling, judo and kyokushin karate. Depending on the format you'd be looking for, there's a lot of fun stuff we could do. Last year I hosted at the Black Rock Kwoon and Dojo for a day, and taught a session on principles of joint locks (how to improvise joint locks regardless of your base training).

uncle sticky

Post by uncle sticky » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:09 am

That would be awesome! Catch wrestling and take downs would be amazing to have a class in, as well as the striking. If you get your ticket, let me know, I'd love to give you a class to teach and sparring to follow.

GrassCuttingSword

Post by GrassCuttingSword » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:50 pm

I got tickets, so I'll be there. We can touch base as the event gets closer and plans firm up, but it'd be a lot of fun to play.

MigsyD
Burning Since: 2018

Post by MigsyD » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:54 am

My background is in JKD, Muay Thai, and Kali. I'm also a Dog Brother (full contact stick fighting) so this sounds right up my alley. Could we do knife fights with training blades? My attendance is still up in the air, but I'd love to take part if I make it.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

Frank Zapppa

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:16 am

This sounds like fun. My background's in muay thai and bjj. I have a difficult time planning to be anywhere at any particular time on the playa and then actually being there, but I'd make an effort for this!

ajc111
Burning Since: 2013

Post by ajc111 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Have a couple BJJ black belts coming with us to playa his year - also used to run Leglocks.com a submission wrestling website ( way in the beginning of MMA ) - could do a basic leg lock class it's always fun cause people do the craziest stuff when trying to learn leg lock submissions

Ajc

ignium
Burning Since: 2015

Post by ignium » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:06 am

I've been studying Krav Maga and Systema for a few years now. And would be interested in helping.

However, I just saw the doctor today and found out I have a partially torn labrum and inflammed rotator cuff. The next 6 weeks will determine my involvement.

Either way, I have like a dozen Cold Steel training knifes and foam batons I can bring along. Marking the blades with lipstick is always fun.

uncle sticky

Post by uncle sticky » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Very cool to see the responses! I'm wondering when people think is the best time for class? Is Midmorning too early? Late afternoon too hot?

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:57 pm

Sunrise!
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

GrassCuttingSword

Post by GrassCuttingSword » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:06 pm

Last year I spent a day hosting at Black Rock Kwoon and dojo. We had classes all day (well, 9-5), and with a little rustling up of folks, all were busy. To me, that indicates that the best time for class is when you feel like it. Looking forward to meeting everyone this year!

uncle sticky

Post by uncle sticky » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:59 pm

got our placement at 7:15 and B!
Please let me know if you'd like to teach a class, and what it will consist of. I'll confirm. You'll be pretty much on your own to run the class. I'll try and make everyone!
I think that the classes should be about an hour of introduction and then sparring/fighting/grappling until you're done. My classes will be that format. On grappling classes, we'll open the mat for anyone who wants to roll.
For standup/mma style, or just flat out fights, I think I'll keep it to one match at a time, five minutes.
Mat is going to be 14x14, with foam underneath a silver tarp cover. No ropes this year, but there will be a 20 x 20 shade canopy.

uncle sticky

Post by uncle sticky » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:44 pm

So the way it will work is that I'll have a white board up, and we'll announce classes on the board. 11 a.m. is either BJJ or Muy Thai stuff. If you want to teach at that time, let me know here, or swing by the camp. If you want to teach at another time, that's fine too. We'll put it on the board, and it's your show.

uncle sticky

Post by uncle sticky » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:51 pm

Oh, and the padded space should be about 20x20, and with a shade over it, so it's nice!

Wigwam
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Wanderers

Post by Wigwam » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:44 pm

I may stop by if possible. I study Shaolin style.
The truth is more important than the facts.
I'm not an actor, but I've played one on TV.

uncle sticky

Post by uncle sticky » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”