Arduino range communication on Playa

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
otti
Burning Since: 2013

Arduino range communication on Playa

Post by otti » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:42 pm

I'm designing a project that lets people find each other through range (ie. "you're getting hotter"). Technically, I would need Arduino-like controllers to talk to each other and identify approximately how far away several other controllers are. Each controller could approximate the order of the distance from another controller (ie. 1ft, 10ft, 100ft, 1000ft+). Since I need multiple controllers to find multiple other controllers, I was thinking that digital wireless would be best although I am not sold on that as a tech. I am sold on Arduino unless there's a compelling argument for a Pi or something else.

An RF receiver/transmitter would accomplish the job, such as this one (

I would love some other ideas, especially if you have experience building wireless that has held up to the variety of wild conditions on the Playa (like a shit ton of other wireless devices crowding the frequency).

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Arduino range communication on Playa

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:10 pm

433 has good propagation and minimal interference. There was talk on ePlaya of (ARPS?) for art cars last year. Suggest you add a GPS shield, transmit each actual location and calculate hot or cold at the receiver.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:45 pm

+ GPS shield.

Arduino, Pi, etc not famous for their clocks and timekeeping which you would need.

Alternative is wifi and RTLS data. Very congested though.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Check this out for some more ideas: http://makezine.com/2015/10/13/watch-th ... es-evolve/

otti
Burning Since: 2013

Post by otti » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks! This radio badge that maladroit linked to is interesting. GPS will require digital communication to send coordinates so I'm digging into that. It does seem GPS will be best though.

:D

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Post by Toe » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:05 am

Did this end up happening? Did it work ok? What protocols did you use? What were some traps you wish you'd known about beforehand? What would you do differently next time?

Return to “Power & Electronics”