The Rise of BRC Black Rock Choppers

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
riddmkidd
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Dustfish

The Rise of BRC Black Rock Choppers

Post by riddmkidd » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:05 pm

Greetings citizens,

This year I am starting up a pedal powered biker gang on the playa, Black Rock Choppers. Guess what we build?

Last year I noticed a severe lack of artistically modified bicycles and pedal powered contraptions. I have an 8' custom built chopper that has been coming out to the playa since 2006. It's a conversation starter and a lot of fun to watch people try to ride it, talk design features, etc. with others. There's also a lack of the art bike parade that I miss and want to reinstate.

We are based in Oakland, CA and will be having a build weekend or three starting in early May and hopefully finishing up things by the time we head out (and you know how that goes). If you are interested there is a facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1071161486230035/ please check it out and join us. We will be making patches as well as choppers.

Instead of an art bike parade I'd like to make it a little more interactive this year and sponsor a poker run. For those not familiar with how that works it goes a little something like this:

you check in at the start (most likely Dustfish since that's where we're located) and get a set of directions (or we'll just tell you where to go) to five checkpoints. At each checkpoint you draw a card from a deck. If you make it back to the start/finish, we all play a hand of poker, winning glory and fabulous prizes for the best hand, worst hand, best cheater, etc. Prizes to be determined.

Let's bring back the part of pedal powered WTFness!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Re: The Rise of BRC Black Rock Choppers

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:59 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the 2016 Art & Performance board, since I think it's a better fit. Sure, bikes are transportation, but I think it's a better fit where art, performance, and events get posted.

This sounds like a cool project, I'd love to see some pics of your builds and some of the cool stuff people have brought out.

riddmkidd
Camp Name: Dustfish

Post by riddmkidd » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:06 pm

ah, thank you for the proper placement! yep, we'll be posting more photos in the fb group as things develop.

Dustinthewind
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Misty Paradise

Post by Dustinthewind » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Watch out for that badass scooter gang that roams the streets. Those guys are always looking for trouble. I hear they even have air support.

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”