I've been waiting 10 years but I'm finially making it there

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Ph0rl0rn
Burning Since: 2016

I've been waiting 10 years but I'm finially making it there

Post by Ph0rl0rn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:52 am

10 years of operations and hospitalizations has meant no holidays at all but I'm fit and well (relatively speaking) and it's 3 months on the road with my sister and the trip to burning man I promised myself and to an extent kept me going for a while knowing eventually I'd get better and I'd be able to do all the things I should have been doing in my 20's. I'm 29 now, I'm glad I got in just under the wire.

We have 3 first timers and someone who's gone twice. We're in an RV but that's because it's our portable home in the states anyway and it'll allow us to run some AC for fellow burners who get too hot and shade and carry extra food and water to share.

I have a stupid question that googling doesn't seem to hero with, do you have to be part of a camp? And how does that happen? I can't find applications and the like just references to people paying to join camps and being disappointed. That seems a bit contrary to the spirit of the thing. Otherwise, if not part of a camp do you park on a street that's empty enough to accept you? Or ate there rules on where you should go?

I've got done cool little items to bring to gift that I think people will love.

I know virgin burners are a little thick on the ground and not exactly always looked on with favor but we're plenty self reliant and I can't wait to hear and participate and I don't want anything other than to learn how to be a good burner.

Finally, is there a good way to learn about events beyond word of mouth or is that deliberate to get people to interact?

Water, ice, shade cloth, call chairs and enough of everything to share, am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Re: I've been waiting 10 years but I'm finially making it there

Post by Corvus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:11 am

I feel your pain, but it was only four years for me from wanting to come and making it to BRC. Prepare to be blown away (In the best possible sense).

Four people in an RV is certainly a viable option (don't forget the shade!) but if you want to be part of a larger group, the best way to join up with a camp is to be an active part of the local community. Whether it's a dozen like-minded people or a massive theme camp, people who've been doing it a while would be able to point you to a group that meets your needs/desires. Some require dues, and some do not.

If you are not part of a theme camp you will have to set up in what's called an open camping area. It's the non-shaded areas in the city map
http://burningman.org/event/black-rock- ... city-plan/
and unfortunately on this year's map it looks like it's been pushed way out into the suburbs. When you're on the ground the blue flags mark off the areas reserved for theme camps but unless you wrangle an early arrival, the plots will already have someone on them.

Ph0rl0rn

Post by Ph0rl0rn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:23 am

That clears things up a lot. So if we meet and make friends who are part of a camp we can move in with their permission halfway through? As long as we observe the speed limit?

I really want to be a model virgin, we're bringing extra everything to share and since cool australian stuff to hand out to the particularly cooked types hehe

I'm a numismatist so I wanna share some cool coins and the amazing history they represent. I think that's kind of the point, you your passion and try and share it right?

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:08 am

It's very highly unlikely you'll end up moving your RV into someone else's camp in the middle of the week. In most cases that would be just about impossible even if you tried. I'd forget that notion.
And you don't need to. If you make friends, just go hang out with them.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Morrell
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Morrell » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:01 am

Just rolling up to a placed theme camp and joining them is not going to happen. Just find an open space, ask your neighbors if it is okay to set up there, and prepare to have an amazing time! Make friends/ get to know your neighbors and you will have so much fun! Years later I still keep in touch with people I've camped next to. Try to "dust-proof" your RV by sealing your window cracks and vents. We use painter's tape. Put sheets over you sleeping area. You are going to have the time of your life!

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:10 am

Hello
Welcome
Where are you coming from ?
You do not Have to be in a camp
But that said you may find it helpful as a venue to consider familylike
I am an original burner and am considering the silliness of the new structure within my group
xoAurelia

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:19 pm

Ph welcome to eplaya. Dont worry at all about where to camp. You are in a motor home. Moving is always an option if things get to loud. There are no bad places in heaven. Its good that you have a veteran burner along with you. She will help reassure you as things look crazier. My advice is to concentrate on bringing what you need. Dont worry about gifts. Let your gift be the help you offer to others. After the long drive and waiting in line a helping hand is better than any swag. I'll be forever thankful to the guy that helped me set up my first year.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:00 pm

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Ph0rl0rn

Post by Ph0rl0rn » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:33 pm

All great info thanks very much! I'm glad to know that I don't have to be part of one, just hour we don't encroach on anyone's areas by mistake.

Are running vehicles running or quiet generators ok outside of what could be considered sleeping hours? Mostly just trying to keep things cool like food as long as possible but we might go fit a trial run living on ice for Week before wet go up avoid it.

Last question (for now :) is there a good central place to find out what's going on? Is there a physical message board to look for or is the fun just stumbling through places and learning things word of mouth. After 10 years of bit bring able to go anywhere that might be a good idea for me, force me to get out there.

Thanks again everyone!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:09 am

You can run generators 24/7.
We never shut ours off.
BRC doesn't really have "sleeping hours". It's a 24 hour a day place. Night time is more magic, that's when all the fire cannons and lighting effects are best.
There is a message board near Center Camp but with 70,000 people it's more of a novelty. You'll be given a "What Where When" guide at the gate by the Greeters, but it's better for casual entertainment reading material than actual planning.
You just go and roam. You'll find things.
Everything happens on "playa time".
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:02 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:You can run generators 24/7.
We never shut ours off.
BRC doesn't really have "sleeping hours". It's a 24 hour a day place. Night time is more magic, that's when all the fire cannons and lighting effects are best.
There is a message board near Center Camp but with 70,000 people it's more of a novelty. You'll be given a "What Where When" guide at the gate by the Greeters, but it's better for casual entertainment reading material than actual planning.
You just go and roam. You'll find things.
Everything happens on "playa time".
The Captain is right. Read this again..... 8)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:49 am

Ph0rl0rn wrote:All great info thanks very much! I'm glad to know that I don't have to be part of one, just hour we don't encroach on anyone's areas by mistake.

Are running vehicles running or quiet generators ok outside of what could be considered sleeping hours? Mostly just trying to keep things cool like food as long as possible but we might go fit a trial run living on ice for Week before wet go up avoid it.

Last question (for now :) is there a good central place to find out what's going on? Is there a physical message board to look for or is the fun just stumbling through places and learning things word of mouth. After 10 years of bit bring able to go anywhere that might be a good idea for me, force me to get out there.

Thanks again everyone!
Welcome, Ph0rl0rn!

You really don't need a camp if you have the infrastructure of an RV*. You'll have more freedom, but a less central location (which means you might be able to sleep . . . no promises). Rent some beach cruiser bikes if you can, and bring locks. (Lock a wheel to the frame or lock two bikes together if you have nothing else). The city is actually pretty large. I've navigated it without a bike before and had a great time, but it's harder than if you have one.

*Note: you can name yourselves even if you are not a Placed Camp. If you want to hang a sign that says you're Cerulean Centipede Camp and provide blue pedicures every afternoon from 2-4pm, you can do that. You just wont have Placement, since you're not registered.

As a tent sleeper, I try to talk to any super-close neighbor with a generator and bargain for not running it all night (like, between 1am and 8am). I don't know whether some gennies are simply very quiet or that "baffle boxes" meant to quiet them are excellent, but I've only had to ask once in the last 11 Burns for someone to give me a break from their stupidly loud gennie. (They were literally only 5-6 feet away from my tent and shared the same camp with me; it wasn't someone across the street, or in the next camp, or anything like that.)

How to find fun things to do? . . . Pack a backpack with supplies and leave camp. :) Adventures are everywhere.

But you can also:

* Comb ePlaya & FB for events so you don't get caught without your tutu or bunny ears (if excuses to wear those with a large crowd sound amusing).

* Get a What/When/Where Guide for every traveler at Greeters (one stop past the Gate where they take your tickets and search your RV). The WWW guide is a long list of One-Time Events and Repeating Events. Go through the One Time Events first with a sharpie (dust ruins ballpoint pens) and circle things. Then the Repeating Events.

If you make it to even one event in the WWW without being distracted by something else even more cool, you are a rare beast. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”