FUNDRAISER: Let Them Have Light, A Blinky Ring Machine

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.
pamelafoxymcfoxypants
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Dream Society

FUNDRAISER: Let Them Have Light, A Blinky Ring Machine

Post by pamelafoxymcfoxypants » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 am

Last year, my partner and I dressed up as Fairies of Light & Magic and distributed free blinky rings to darkwads. But there were SO MANY of them, even in our own camp!

So this year, we're scaling the effort by upcycling a giant gumball machine into a blinky ring machine. We're raising funds to help with the cost of the supplies, so that we can fill it with *lots* of rings!

You can learn more and donate here:

Thank you! :D :D :D :mrgreen: :lol: :) :D :D :D

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: FUNDRAISER: Let Them Have Light, A Blinky Ring Machine

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 am

I can appreciate that you can't be bothered with personally gifting items to people, but you should seriously reconsider your project. What you are planning is essentially a free-standing and completely unattended MOOP dispenser. Some of it will be blinkies from people who pulled something from the machine as a gag or who changed their minds, and some of it will be discarded MOOP (just because you put an upturned water jug/garbage bin beside it doesn't mean that it will get used, or won't get trashed in its own right). Keep in mind, your target audience is essentially people who are too lazy to have done even the simplest or cheapest thing to light themselves up at night... they may not have much regard for leaving no trace, either.

A friend of mine's camp was adjacent to where the pee funnel camp had a satellite pee funnel dispenser. All week long their camp was covered in new and used pee funnel MOOP. People put them on their art, in their burn barrels, left them on and in the cracks of vehicles, dumped them in the kitchen when nobody was around, and just dropped them on the ground. Unattended gifting dispensers of any kind are a bad idea - while the community as a whole is awesome, all it takes is a single person being a jerk to make this a really horrible mess on the playa.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: FUNDRAISER: Let Them Have Light, A Blinky Ring Machine

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:22 am

This sounds like my husband and I exchanging Christmas gifts. I work so I'm paying for my own gift. That's OK within the family. If you want to 'gift' something I believe YOU should buy it. Give as many as you can afford and give them personally to people who want them.

Just my opinion. I'm sure you can defend your mode and means.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Return to “2016 On-Playa Project Fundraisers”