How to stake guy lines

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
pakalla
Burning Since: 2014

How to stake guy lines

Post by pakalla » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:25 am

Hi everyone,

What is the best way to stake down guy lines? Do I need bent rebar?

Thanks!

FIGJAM

Re: How to stake guy lines

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:27 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

pakalla
Burning Since: 2014

Post by pakalla » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:31 am

A friend just advised me that you can just pound in rebar at an angle facing away from the structure and tie the guy line around it. Put a cap/ball on top of the rebar.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes, you can pound rebar. If you candy cane the top you can even pound it in flush with the playa, avoiding the need for tennis-balls (but still mark the guyline itself).

That said, you really should take a look at the lag-bolt link FIGJAM posted above. They save a lot of time, effort, and strain compared to pounding in 18-30" of rebar. Plus you don't need to bend rebar, which at least in my case required a blowtorch and some pipes for the candy cane rebar. If you don't bend it, pounding straight rebar at a more shallow angle is a pain too.

I will never willingly go back to using rebar again, even though I have tons of it made for BM already. It sucks.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:07 pm

pakalla wrote:A friend just advised me that you can just pound in rebar at an angle facing away from the structure and tie the guy line around it. Put a cap/ball on top of the rebar.
If I may make a a suggestion: Old Barbie heads fit perfectly over the top of a rebar stake. Not only are they functional but decorative as well. You're welcome.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:12 pm

They should be at an angle in the ground and 90 degrees from the guy wire like this:

You don't have to use 2 stakes but it doesn't hurt.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:07 pm

I had a buddy of mine weld a 1.5 inch piece of rebar to the top of each 1 foot piece of rebar. This made each peg simple to attach a guy wire to and could be pounded flush to the ground (aka, you can step on it with bare feet and not get hurt). Still working fine after 6 burns.
Custom-T-stake.jpg
Since I started flying into Reno, I have found that the Aluminum 12 inch "army" tent pegs work pretty good as well - with the added benefit that 5 aluminum pegs weigh less than 1 rebar peg. These can be pounded flush to the ground with no concern about bare feet as well.
12-in-Aluminum-Tent-Pegs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

Martiena
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Playa Info Camp 2016

Post by Martiena » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Hi Rice.
I am flying onto Reno too. Every year I buy rebar and give it away at the end of the burn.
Those aluminum stakes look great, are they difficult to find?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Martiena wrote:Hi Rice.
I am flying onto Reno too. Every year I buy rebar and give it away at the end of the burn.
Those aluminum stakes look great, are they difficult to find?
I am not sure where one would find them in the USA, I bought mine from a place called Princess Auto here in Canadia - Maybe try googling "aluminum tent stales army" and you probably can find a US distributor. Army surplus store maybe?
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

Martiena
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Playa Info Camp 2016

Post by Martiena » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks Rice. I live in Ontario and they have a Princess Auto here in my city.
I will see if I can look it up, or phone the store.
Enjoy your burn!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”