When you buy through eplaya is it legit?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
American2316
Burning Since: 2016

When you buy through eplaya is it legit?

Postby American2316 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Just curious if I get ripped off by someone I meet and buy from on eplaya what can I do? Is that even possible?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: When you buy through eplaya is it legit?

Postby BBadger » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Nobody ever got ripped off on an online message-board that only requires an email address to register. The people who have 1-2 posts, with no investment at all in reputation or connections to people here, are especially trustworthy.

Also, the fact that this message-board is associated with Burning Man practically guarantees that the members are completely legit and honest -- like Burners in general. If this were a kleptomaniac, or no-common-sense-anonymous message-board I'd be more worried.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

American2316

Postby American2316 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:51 pm

OK I'm just worried I got scammed once and just bought tickets off this site and I'm so excited about going it would be tragic if it happens again and then couldn't afford to go. : (

justanta
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores

Postby justanta » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Well like he said, no one ever gets ripped off on a near anonymous online message board!

American2316

Postby American2316 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:34 pm

OK so are you guys being sarcastic? Maybe I'm just too gulable but I was seriously asking what my chances were.

American2316

Postby American2316 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Got ripped off by this post viewtopic.php?f=465&t=78721#p1121616 goes by Magicaldust! People suck! Can't believe it happened again!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Postby burner von braun » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:57 pm

Sorry to hear this A2316. I think the earlier replies were in response to a cerain level of naivete your part. None of the regulars that I know here on eplaya would actually want to see this happen. Still, it is up to you, the individual, to be cautious in such matters.

For the benefit of others, I've posted a link to one of the threads in the Ticket Discussion category. There are several crucial threads to read right at the top if you are considering buying a last minute third-party ticket, especially from someone you don't know.

viewtopic.php?f=464&t=78735

justanta
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores

Postby justanta » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:04 pm

It just happened again? You should be able to get your bank or whatever payment service you used to reverse the charge due to fraud.

Sorry though, that really does suck.

American2316

Postby American2316 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Yes it did the first time was Craigslist then talked to ticket support they said try eplayab so I did and it happens again without even giving a tracking number or phone number she was going to get that when I got tickets but then wouldn't respond at all and money was already picked up : (

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:30 pm

I am very sorry this happened to you. Anyone can sign up and sell tickets on eplaya. We are not a ticket service, so it is very much buyer beware. Unfortunately, the demand for tickets has created a very attractive rip off market. Trilo has written some very good advice about not using a payment method with no buyer protection, it is posted at the top of the ticket discussion forum.

FILE A POLICE REPORT. Then contact the fraud department at Burning Man. fraud@burningman.org

American2316

Postby American2316 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Already made police report and just sent e mail to burning man fraud. Wish I could have trusted the people on this site. Saddens my heart that people do this to others and that now I won't be able to attend unless a miracle happens. Don't wish this on anyone please other fellow burners be careful!

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:47 pm

On the plus side, it's leaning more towards a buyer's market. Grill these people, if they won't answer your questions or are avoiding questions then leave them be.

I was contacting people a few days ago for tickets. One "seller" when asked a few simple questions, immediately sent me a message saying they were sold... I doubt it. They said they were in Ukraine...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Heisenberg
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Playa Pinguino

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Sorry for your pain. It definitely sucks getting ripped off. Plus makes it harder for any legitimate sellers. Above advice in addition to other obvious topic threads is good. Did you do it through paypal? just curious

DrDISK
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby DrDISK » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:11 pm

AntiM
The address you posted to submit a Fraud/Scam to BM fraud department; "fraud@burningman.org" is not valid.
I want to report my fraud issue, is there another ID I should use for Email ?
Thank you in advance

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm going to be a critic here.

OP, you joined August 18, 2016 and made a few posts. Does that make you legit?

Then did you read the pinned right at the top and several down posts in these ticket forums:

viewforum.php?f=464
viewforum.php?f=465
viewforum.php?f=466

It does not take long for anyone to read. To follow the suggestions. To not get defrauded.

ePlaya is a place where experienced burners chat with new burners, sometimes in a helpful way, and more often we all joke among ourselves to relieve the tedium of answering the same question continuously from questioners who don't honor the culture of smart searching and research.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:23 am

DrDISK wrote:AntiM
The address you posted to submit a Fraud/Scam to BM fraud department; "fraud@burningman.org" is not valid.
I want to report my fraud issue, is there another ID I should use for Email ?
Thank you in advance

It is the one we were given, so I am looking and asking. Difficult to get answers because so many have left for the playa already. I'm almost out of here myself.

turtledsoup
Burning Since: 2000

Postby turtledsoup » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:56 am

Horrible news and good luck with recouping your costs. If you can come to the SF bay area on your way to BRC and look for tickets, there have been more than a few tickets showing up on Craigslist for face value. Meeting the seller in person and inspecting the ticket might be more reliable.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”