Advice from veteran burners please?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
American2316
Burning Since: 2016

Advice from veteran burners please?

Post by American2316 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:35 am

OK so I got a person on burning man ticket exchange fb page says will send me tickets and I Pay paypal.. what questions should I ask? Things I should do to not get scammed again?

Jackass

Re: Advice from veteran burners please?

Post by Jackass » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:47 am

Read this again, more carefully this time...

Make sure you read ALL of it, use common sense and trust your instincts. Don't become desperate. Choose a face to face if possible. PayPal does have recourse in case you get lied to...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Use the standard Paypal purchase function - DO NOT use the Paypal gift function (transfer money to friends / family or whatever it is called) because you have zero recourse with this option.

One common scam technique is to request you send it as a gift to "save them the percentage Paypal takes on sales". Only use that mode with people you actually know and trust .
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:50 pm

American2316 wrote:OK so I got a person on burning man ticket exchange fb page says will send me tickets and I Pay paypal.. what questions should I ask? Things I should do to not get scammed again?
Friend them and see if they are real people.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Use the standard Paypal purchase function - DO NOT use the Paypal gift function (transfer money to friends / family or whatever it is called) because you have zero recourse with this option.
^So much this.
Also, like Jackass said, read & reread the Scammers & Scalpers thread again and again.

If a sale has you nervous enough to come here to ask if a bunch of complete strangers on the internet think it's safe, that means your gut is probably telling you that you don't think it's safe. You have already been scammed, slow down and be extremely careful. Maybe only buy in person, that way you can actually see the ticket (a real ticket is easy to spot: they're mini works of art, with detailed embossing and extremely fine holographic printing on heavy card stock. They do not look like they could come off a home printer or out of a copy shop). Bring the list of voided tickets, it's not complete but it will give you a good way to track a lot of real tickets that are no longer good.

We can't buy the ticket for you, we can't vet the seller, all we can do is repeat all the things already listed in the Scammers and Scalpers thread and keep warning you that there are lots of people out there who want to rip you off (that part you know).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:59 pm

This must be frustrating, having been scammed already.

I would strongly suggest (ignore if you like) in-person buys of physical tickets examined closely.

In a given city, Craigs is popular, city-specific burner FB groups, official regional Burning Man FB groups, and best of all, friends and friends of friends. Friends in real life type friends.

Lacking that, large burner cities on the W Coast and elsewhere have tickets for sale by those channels. Do you have trusted real life friends in those cities with some free time, who can also discern between a real ticket and a counterfit up close, in person. Have them be your intermediary.

It has been discussed, the ticket has the purchase price printed on the back. That would be a good price to pay. Claims a $390 ticket is higher because other tickets were a higher sales bracket is not OK.

(I'm sure this is all in those ePlaya sticky post read me)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

American2316

Post by American2316 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Thank you for all the advice. 2 more questions if you don't mind... How much were taxes on face value $390 tickets? He is saying they are will call also so does this thing he sent me look legit to anyone?
received_1794332884183418.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:36 pm

450-460 is the price on a 390 ticket. That looks good, have them send you a PayPal invoice. Pay the invoice and have them transfer, which you can immediately see in your ticketfly acct.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

American2316

Post by American2316 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Thank you jackass you have been a big help! I will do and did read through the scammers & scalpers.

American2316

Post by American2316 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:16 pm

:D :lol: :mrgreen: GOT TICKETS! can't wait! After all that finally found an honest person! MUCH♡♡♡ See you on the Playa!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:29 am

American2316 wrote::D :lol: :mrgreen: GOT TICKETS! can't wait! After all that finally found an honest person! MUCH♡♡♡ See you on the Playa!
That's fantastic! Congrats and we'll see you in the dust!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

justanta
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores

Post by justanta » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:48 am

American2316 wrote::D :lol: :mrgreen: GOT TICKETS! can't wait! After all that finally found an honest person! MUCH♡♡♡ See you on the Playa!
Congrats dude! Be sure to come by Whores' S'mores at 3:30 and H and get a S'more on us!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:12 am

Terrific! Come by Anti M's Home for Wayward Art and adopt some art to taken home. 5:15 and E.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”