Who was performing at deep playa Wednesday morning??

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
kiilroy
Burning Since: 2014

Who was performing at deep playa Wednesday morning??

Postby kiilroy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello beautiful humans!
I have a huge question- I was out at robot heart in deep playa Wednesday morning (maybe 4am or so?) and I cannot figure out who was performing! There was live female vocalists, with a drum set, some what trance ish... I can't find anything on rockstar librarian/time to burn, so any info will help, thanks so much!
We phoenix burners go to black rock city to escape the heat. 8)

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Who was performing at deep playa Wednesday morning??

Postby Ano » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:52 pm

HVOB

kiilroy

Postby kiilroy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Ano wrote:HVOB

YESSSSSS LIFE SAVER THANK YOU!

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:51 am

Some button-pushing "artist" whose default world celebrity is very important on the EDM circuit. Oonz oonz!

Ano

Postby Ano » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:30 pm

To the contrary, HVOB is a full live band. You're dumb. Thanks for shitting your opinion out like it matters, though. It matters as much as the other piles of shit in a porto.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Holy Schitzel n Bratwurst! Chowski got burned JOTS-blue-splash style.

Ano, having the freulein voice over a Casio keyboard may be all retro cool n shit but it ain't no live band.

It's still one dude pressing the button on the sequencer.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Postby ACfromSAC » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:10 pm

Speaking of live bands on the playa, I caught Infected Mushroom Friday night. WOW. Live band performing EDM-esque music REALLY well. One of my favorite performances I've ever caught out there for sure. Amazingly talented guitarist and keyboardist.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Postby Traveller in Time » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:58 pm

:?:

I think it is magical music special if performed at deep playa.

One of the duo uses keyboard to play percussion and sampled/ synthesised sounds. The other seems to use only the drums. The female voice may have been pre recorded, I doubt if even a harmoniser would change the guys voices that way. It is however entirely possible she was present to sing her lines live.

Live sounds? even an acoustic guitar has to be tuned to let it produce a copy of a certain sound. Live performance tapping the right button at the right time, guess so.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Ano

Postby Ano » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:06 pm

So, what? Is a keyboardist not a musician because they can tag samples to keys and switch between them on the fly? Fuck, Page McConnell of Phish is no longer a musician.

HVOB had their vocalist sing all songs, a drummer playing all the beats, and a keyboardist playing a mixture of notes and samples. How in the great blue fuck is that not a band? Do we need to be entirely acoustic to be considered a band? Did Bob Dylan ruin the concept of a band when he plugged in his strat in the 60s?

I'm tired of the luddite bullshit surrounding music at Burning Man. There is a fuckton of live music out there (if your definition of "live" is only acoustic, that is) and you have to be stupid if you can't find it. I don't give a damn about bluegrass but I'll smile because someone brought a bluegrass camp. Go to VBC or Dustfish or Reverbia or Crossroads or....

If you don't like it, move on. I don't sit around and go "Hah, that's not a banjo, that's actually a guitar shaped like a banjo. He's not actually playing country music. This isn't real. It's tuned to EADGBE."

Token

Postby Token » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:34 pm

(((Ano)))

You should drink some water. You sound stressed out.

It's just melodies.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Whew, I was afraid it was Daft Punk at the trash fence. I go looking for them every year but somehow seem to miss them each time. I just know next year will be my lucky year & I'll finally catch them.

Here's to hope'n
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:28 am

Gotta Catch Them All.

Can we then make them duke it out at Thunderdome?

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 am

Hi Ano. No, button-pushers are not musicians. They are button-pushers. Real musicians make sound from vibrations, from their throats, from instruments. Techbro douches take other people's music, record it, and press the button to replay it.

I was in a chorus for sixteen years, studied music in college, and sang three times at Carnegie Hall among many, many other places. I am a musician. The button pushers aren't.

I'm glad I could clear that up for you.

13key2light

Postby 13key2light » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:35 am

ACfromSAC wrote:Speaking of live bands on the playa, I caught Infected Mushroom Friday night. WOW. Live band performing EDM-esque music REALLY well. One of my favorite performances I've ever caught out there for sure. Amazingly talented guitarist and keyboardist.

Where was infected mushroom on the playa in 2016 !!????? No way I missed that !

13key2light

Postby 13key2light » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:46 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:Whew, I was afraid it was Daft Punk at the trash fence. I go looking for them every year but somehow seem to miss them each time. I just know next year will be my lucky year & I'll finally catch them.

Here's to hope'n

Someone please tell me it wasn't ACTUALLY daft punk at the space cats art installation on the trash fence Wednesday night and that it was just some daft punk music being played....

ACfromSAC

Postby ACfromSAC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:22 pm

13key2light wrote:Where was infected mushroom on the playa in 2016 !!????? No way I missed that !

Opulent Temple. Great set. Probably my favorite couple of hours of the burn for me this year.

13key2light

Postby 13key2light » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:50 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:
13key2light wrote:Where was infected mushroom on the playa in 2016 !!????? No way I missed that !

Opulent Temple. Great set. Probably my favorite couple of hours of the burn for me this year.

Noooooooooo, cant believe I missed that... Friday night I wanted to do something other then Carl cox at playground for a second night in a row...

kiilroy

Postby kiilroy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Woooow I haven't checked my thread in a while, what a weird thing to walk into. Yeah I'm not fond of putting much of anything in little boxes, music being one of them. Button pushers... Acoustic... Whatever. I love it all. I loved the set, I loved her voice, I loved all of it. I'm not about to argue what it is or isn't, call it what you want. It was beautiful.

kiilroy

Postby kiilroy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:26 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:

Also caught this show, amazingggg. A lot different than in an enclosed venue, but a great show none the less.

ACfromSAC

Postby ACfromSAC » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:17 am

kiilroy wrote:Also caught this show, amazingggg. A lot different than in an enclosed venue, but a great show none the less.

I was actually completely unfamiliar with Infected Mushroom prior to that set (other than knowing their name) so I really had no basis for comparison and had no idea what to expect. Totally loved them and hope to catch them on the playa again in future years.

kiilroy

Postby kiilroy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:33 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:
kiilroy wrote:Also caught this show, amazingggg. A lot different than in an enclosed venue, but a great show none the less.

I was actually completely unfamiliar with Infected Mushroom prior to that set (other than knowing their name) so I really had no basis for comparison and had no idea what to expect. Totally loved them and hope to catch them on the playa again in future years.

That's rad! I love when that happens, such as my experience with hvob on robot heart haha

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”