Playa hats

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
GhettorigMechanic
Burning Since: 2017

Playa hats

Post by GhettorigMechanic » Mon May 15, 2017 3:06 am

Birgin here. Got some questiuns. I got a wide brimed hat for the day, it's got a cloth tie so it doesn't fly away like a bamboo saucer, but I was wondering about my other hats. Should I attach some sort of tie for them? (Couple trilbys and a top hat) I've seen some military style hats people have brought with chains, does the chain help? You can't really tighten the chain it looks like, so does the weight help or is it just there to make sure if it fits off it catches on your neck and you don't have to chase it?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Playa hats

Post by AntiM » Mon May 15, 2017 6:22 am

You pretty much answered your own question. I haven't seen the chain, but yeah, anything which catches the hat helps. An unsecured hat means you have to be very good at the 100 yard dash.

Another option, which I feel is more stylish, is to have a strap which run behind the back of your head instead of under your chin. MyLarry prefers the back of the head option instead of a chin strap as he has a beard.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:09 am

FDC8DC6E-AA09-4D58-AA87-BAD1973C1827.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:12 pm

The first thing I added to my hat was a chin-strap. Also consider adding a rope/string to the chin-strap attached to your belt (or whatever is fixed to the front of your body. Other than preventing a runaway hat, which can occur even with a chin-strap, if you hang your hat on your back when not on your head, the rope prevents the chin-strap from resting on your neck and semi-choking you.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”