Alumicloth - Verdict?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Alumicloth - Verdict?

Post by Token » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Dsm253 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:34 pm
Do you cut it down to less than square shapes for said structures? I'm trying to wrap my brain around how it would hold up to cut into triangles (then shark clip grommets and fit the triangle pieces into a dome) but am unsure if the edges on knit aluminet would hold that way. Likely sticking with the camo netting for this year, but starting to think on a winter project.
Haven't cut mine to shape. Just rolled up odd ends and bungied them.

Dome covers are tricky. You could go triangles. My v4 domes have plenty "lines" where a rectangular Aluminet could be stretched, rolled and convinced to fit and cover 1/3 of the thing. A couple rectangles of the right size, cris-crossed would give you shade all day but be open on one side.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Dsm253 wrote:
I'm trying to wrap my brain around how it would hold up to cut into triangles (then shark clip grommets and fit the triangle pieces into a dome) but am unsure if the edges on knit aluminet would hold that way. Likely sticking with the camo netting for this year, but starting to think on a winter project.
I was fortunate to have real Swedish Snow Camo (basically, Tyvek with holes) and put it together with Aluminet for a dome. It worked great but sewing the three materials together (selvage was the 3rd material) proved to be a royal pain in the ass, even for sail-makers which we had to use after breaking one home and one "industrial" machines.

And, to add to "aluminet" vs. solid tarp, yeah, solid tarp with a way for heat to escape wins, but solid tarp requires MUCH stronger securing methods as it turns into a sail whereas the aluminet lets a big percentage of wind pass thru.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:14 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:33 pm
Dsm253 wrote:
....then shark clip grommets and fit the triangle pieces into a dome.....)
These work as well as Shark Clips and cost much MUCH less.:

http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products ... cloth.html

Return to “Keeping Cool”