Emergency food

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Kikikukiki
Burning Since: 2018

Emergency food

Post by Kikikukiki » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi all.

Was browsing WallMart online web and stumble upon Augason Emergency Food. We dont have them here. The reviews are positive and good. Have a good and stable shelf live, no refrigeration and easy mix. Price range from USD 8 to about USD 70 with multiple servings.

Question: Did anybody tried it for BM?
How about for a larger camps (feeding multiple burners)?

I bet if you already had them for emergency situations and near to expiry date/ best before date, it may be a good time to try and replenish a fresh supply at home.

There are some at USD 8 that I could try for my solo burn.
So many IF's but I'm still planning ahead! Burning Man 2018 here I come! SOLO YOLO 8)

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Emergency food

Post by Popeye » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:34 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=eplaya% ... gws_rd=ssl

https://www.google.com/search?ei=KLQ8Wo ... xcC5WrUctM

You can google eplaya: whatever topic you are interested in for a lot more information.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:31 am

Personally, I would spend my money on more "real" food for the week. You will end up paying a large premium for this shelf stable food when you could buy fresher food that only has to last a week.
I have tried the freeze dried food, and it seems to give me stomach distress. I do have a large pail of this at home, but hope I never really have to eat it.
Given a choice, I would make a large list of all the food and drinks you think you'll need for the week, and buy what you need in a grocery store.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:25 am

Ice, both block and crushed, is sold on playa and is used for keeping things cold in camping coolers.

Do a search as noted above with google and you can get great information on this topic.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:50 pm

One of the awesome things at Burning Man is eating like a king.
Man, emergency rations... that’s eating like a dog. An abused dog.

Bring real food, especially for a camp of several people!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:58 am

Actual yummy food is SO GOOD in the desert. 8)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:43 am

I bring some fresh food as well as some camping or survival food. Sometimes I don't feel like cooking or just don't have time to prepare something so a quick Mountain House or MRE is just the ticket. Any fresh food that won't make it a week in the cooler gets eaten early in the week and I always bring more than enough so I can share as well.

Appetites get all wonky out there, some people don't eat nearly as much as normal and others get ravenous. How it will affect you is anyone's guess.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:12 am

Emergency food/Camping food is always egregiously priced. I refuse to shell out for that--but I don't like cooking on the playa either.

This is my favorite thread about quick, easy, normally priced food.

Realistic non-cooler based menu planning
viewtopic.php?t=35430

The dry ice thread might be a good one for someone who wants to bring high quality food, such as fresh meat, and doesn't have an RV kitchen.

Dry Ice
viewtopic.php?t=3232
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Kikikukiki

Post by Kikikukiki » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:46 am

Yup. That is the direction im heading. Been browsing Wall Mart online for all the stuff I will need. To my suprise, the prices are cheaper even after i factored in the 4x exchange rate. That to say everything back home is overly priced. Eg 6 to 10x. Omg!
So many IF's but I'm still planning ahead! Burning Man 2018 here I come! SOLO YOLO 8)

Token

Post by Token » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:01 am

Kikikukiki wrote:That to say everything back home is overly priced. Eg 6 to 10x. Omg!
True, but when you get sick with strep throat back home you go to the doctor and they make you better.

Here, we go to the Leech, where they use a blue jay to peck at your ear.

While you are doing that you are calling your accountant to see if you can afford to see a doctor.

If you are lucky, you can, and then you call your doctor and the earliest appointment is 6 weeks from now.

So you end up going the emergency room where you wait for 8 hours and they give you a course of antibiotics, charge you $800 per pill.

So there you go, cheap fast food but ridonculous medicine.

Fair trade, plus a hint of new age Darwinism.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:16 am

If you're looking for something easy and delicious, look into Tasty Bites (http://tastybite.com/). Boil water, throw the bag in (unopened) & let it heat up for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy. Really tasty food, minimal cleanup required. Plus on cold nights, something warm in your tummy hits the spot.

campersammy
Burning Since: 2019

Post by campersammy » Tue May 29, 2018 4:41 am

ACfromSAC wrote:If you're looking for something easy and delicious, look into Tasty Bites (http://tastybite.com/). Boil water, throw the bag in (unopened) & let it heat up for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy. Really tasty food, minimal cleanup required. Plus on cold nights, something warm in your tummy hits the spot.
Interesting !

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Thu May 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Lots of decent food is available shelf-stable. Canned soups and chilis, canned fruit, beef jerky, crackers and peanut butter, canned or pouch tuna, nuts, granola, dried fruits. You dont need to spend a lot to get shelf stable food.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm

Go to the dollar store. Get sardines and crackers, canned chili and fritos, soup, ramen to put in the soup, dried fruit, nuts, fruit cups, pepperoni, salami, pudding cups, instant oatmeal, dry milk and whatever else. Target has individual pkgs of flavored electrolytes for 20 ¢. buy a 30 pack of PBR and your halfway there.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:50 am

Last year I bought a couple dozen cans of pre-made soups. Ended up drinking one of them straight out of the can cold in the morning, some snacks (and lots of beer) mid day and then eating dinner in the evening. Between that and 2-3 hours of sleep every 12 hours, it worked pretty well.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Put you soups and instant foil wrapped foods on the dash in between the glass and a silver windshield shade. Hot food from 2pm to 7pm.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Oussie
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Oussie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:18 pm

I personally avoid spending on chemical food and prefer to spend on organic stuff. But as the emergency ration anything is good

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:28 am

I wouldn't recommend emergency food, MRE's, or any other similar types of provisions unless a) you've tried it before and you know it won't lead to 'digestive distress' (nobody wants to spend hours on a toilet, especially when that toilet is a porta-potty in the desert) and b) it's something you already enjoy eating for days on end.

Your body needs fuel, because in all likelihood you're going to be using a lot of energy every single day out there. If you don't like the food, you're either going to be miserable shoveling down terrible stuff for days on end, or you're going to pick at it or skip meals because you know how bad that stuff tastes. And if you're burning lots of energy and not eating well, the latter half of your burn will be more of a struggle and a lot less fun.

If you're not doing a heat source for cooking, you can find all kinds of shelf stable stuff (tuna fish packets and kids lunch stuff springs to mind, but I'm sure there are lots of options). You may also want to consider canned chili or soups - (can be eaten hot or cold, and Ratty's heat on the dash method really does work).

Good luck!

arthur02
Burning Since: 2017

Post by arthur02 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Ratty wrote:Put you soups and instant foil wrapped foods on the dash in between the glass and a silver windshield shade. Hot food from 2pm to 7pm.
This is definitely a good practice to keep the food safe from immediate spoiling.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:41 am

campersammy wrote:
ACfromSAC wrote:If you're looking for something easy and delicious, look into Tasty Bites (http://tastybite.com/). Boil water, throw the bag in (unopened) & let it heat up for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy. Really tasty food, minimal cleanup required. Plus on cold nights, something warm in your tummy hits the spot.
Interesting !

You have to try TastyBites before loading up.
I've been taking about 30 out there every year, usually take home some.
I've tried many varieties, but all I buy now are the Bombay Potatoes and Bombay Lentils, both vegan.
I've given those two to meat eaters and they are crazy about them. Plenty of calories and really good taste. Not bland, not too spicy.
Their rice packets are gross to me. I just bring rice cakes, almond butter, roasted tamari almonds I make the day before leaving home.
In the ice are lots of apples and bananas, which last longer than you think. Grapes.
Lot's of coconut water, coffee, and no more than 10 Cliff Bars.
Breakfast is a big one for me: huge bowl of granola, muesli, freeze dried cranberries, bananas and almond or rice or soy milk.

Find a local store selling TastyBites, or Trader Joe repackages their product, but they change the name slightly.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 am

I like the Tasty Bites brown rice and lentils, but as a base for my own added protein.

Return to “Food & Drink”