OK so what the hell did I miss (the good old days)?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Re: OK so what the hell did I miss (the good old days)?

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:11 am

Hard to think of the old days without bemoaning aspects of the new days....

But, I miss the streets not being in alphabetical order.

Disoriented burners were at every street sign.

Now, most everything is oriented.

Now, many use the roads just to get from point A to point B.

It's now vital to make sure the man is in the center of the phone screen than to take ones eyes OFF the phone and actually watch it burn full size.

Now, if the nearest free coffee place within walking distance isn't open, grumbling voices can be heard.

Spotting a naked person without decoration is a very rare thing these days. I miss that people who had never been naked in public broke thru their resistance and found it to be totally natural and safe and wonder why they'd been so hung up about it.

The phrase "the playa provides" wasn't a parasite freegans excuse to not worry about bringing bike tools, sunscreen, coffee, shower or substitute for shower stuff, tools to build camp and even outfits.

I miss the years when my shower was used all the time, and then 10 years later not as many people used it as they didn't want anyone to see them naked.

I miss the me that told those shower seekers that if they wanted privacy to get some sheets and pin it on the support structure. Now I spend my money and extra effort to make a privacy screen and for them to not have to challenge themselves, and not utilize what the power of Burning Man used to be: the best place in the world to challenge yourself or learn something new about yourself in a thousand different ways.

Now, you kids get off my lawn!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: OK so what the hell did I miss (the good old days)?

Post by Token » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:40 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:11 am

I miss the years when my shower was used all the time, and then 10 years later not as many people used it as they didn't want anyone to see them naked.

I miss the me that told those shower seekers that if they wanted privacy to get some sheets and pin it on the support structure. Now I spend my money and extra effort to make a privacy screen and for them to not have to challenge themselves, and not utilize what the power of Burning Man used to be...
Heck, I miss showers where you brought friends as a “support structure” to pour the water, pump the Hudson Sprayer, and scrub the back. ;)

Return to “Philosophical Center”