Hair

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Sunny_days2
Burning Since: 2016

Hair

Post by Sunny_days2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:25 am

The last couple of years I have worn a turban type creation to just completely cover my hair (it worked really well). This year I am thinking I might like to curl my hair (I normally do this with straws overnight). It gives me tight almost afro type curls. When brushing it out it is pretty difficult as it gets pretty matted. Wil this be a nightmare after a burn? I'm guessing it will but also really like this look on my hair. Any tips tricks or plain old advice on whether this is a dumb idea or not :D

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Hair

Post by Ratty » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:39 am

Anything can go wrong out there when it comes to hair. As far as after the burn, you're standing in the shower till the hot water runs out. Might as well use up a bottle of conditioner too. I've never had a problem and my hair is one big dred.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Hair

Post by Savannah » Thu May 10, 2018 4:34 pm

If I were going to do that, I'd make sure to pack a bottle of rich conditioner or hair mayonnaise (something aimed at African American hair is also good for curls in non African-Americans) and have a wide-tooth hair pick. Post-playa, a long rinse, a gentle wash, then sit with the conditioner in for 20+ minutes and pick your curls apart slowly from the bottom while the conditioner is still in it; watch some TV maybe. It will probably take a while to get the snarls out.

It will be less of a mess if you save the curls for the second half of the Burn so you can feel especially fabulous for the weekend. Maybe do it Thursday night, and unveil on Friday? And travel the playa with a wide scarf in case a dust storm descends and you wanna protect it. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”