Advice for art long-term playa-proofing?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Advice for art long-term playa-proofing?

Postby jcliff » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Lamplighters are completing a community art piece this year that we'd like to be able to put up in our Lounge for years to come. I could use some advice for making it last for the long haul.

The project involves about 75, 8 x 8 x 1/4 inch wooden tiles that have been artistically rendered by participants. The tiles will be glued onto a large 1" sheet of plywood for a finished piece that's about 4' x 8'.

We are planning to glue the tiles with gorilla wood glue. Any advice for playa-proofing it? I had planned to use a clear coat spray to seal it but I'm not sure what would be best for dust-proofing. Also, any advice for sealing a few tiles that have some baubles glued on to them? We don't want anything to pop off and moop.

Any advice would be appreciated. The tiles are beautiful and we'd like to keep the project around for awhile! Many thanks!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Advice for art long-term playa-proofing?

Postby Popeye » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Gorilla glue is urethane based and expands while it cures. It may be difficult make the tiles level. Some sealants will yellow under UV light. You might look at different epoxy's both to hold the tile on and to seal the surface. I think I'd look at Gougeon Brothers marine epoxys.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Postby Grumpy Otter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:13 pm

Use gorilla wood glue, in stead of straight gorilla glue. The wood glue does not expand and is a good quality wood glue which should last well.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am

Definitely wood glue. I have a gift box which sits out on the playa year after year, and I used Titebond wood glue on its letters and trim. As for a sealer, find a good UV stable exterior/outdoor matte or satin spray on sealer. Krylon brand has done well for me, and Rustoleum is also a good option (but shinier for some reason). I use a brush on one for some pieces, but that would not do well for a large piece.

As for the individual pieces, acrylic paints hold up well, either craft or intermediate fine art ones. If they are gluing on baubles and bits, use a bead and glass or all purpose glue, I use 3-M brand. Since my art pieces are handled roughly and hang out there on chickenwire, I do make sure they're sturdy beforehand.

If anyone is doing any kind of collaging, ModPodge is strong when applied and cured properly.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:13 am

Anti M, Really? ModPodge! I'll have to revisit that. I'm well known for doing it wrong. Every year I make a bunch of collages to gift but mine are laminated 8 by 10s. This way I can be lazy and stick them together with a glue stick. At the burn the people can browse the post cards, collages and bottle cap art while they wait around for their bike seat cover. All this art talk is getting me excited. Think I'll sort some robot makins.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am

Ratty wrote:Anti M, Really? ModPodge! I'll have to revisit that. I'm well known for doing it wrong. Every year I make a bunch of collages to gift but mine are laminated 8 by 10s. This way I can be lazy and stick them together with a glue stick. At the burn the people can browse the post cards, collages and bottle cap art while they wait around for their bike seat cover. All this art talk is getting me excited. Think I'll sort some robot makins.

Mod Podge takes time and prep, it is totally unsuited for on playa use. The end results hold up pretty well though. They make it in quite a few varieties now, including Hard for furniture, glitter, and glow in the dark.

jcliff
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby jcliff » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 pm

I had my notifications off and didn’t realize that anyone had responded to this post! Thank you for the guidance! I’m really excited to see this come together. I may reach out in late June when we’re putting it together in real time!

Return to “Building & Making Art”