Sound system for art project

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
fee-sound
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Ocean Tunnel

Sound system for art project

Postby fee-sound » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:46 am

I am providing ocean recordings, such as whale songs, for the Ocean Tunnel art installation. I wish to install a weather/sand proof system and to know if theft is a concern. I have looked online and there are speakers designed for outdoor use, which also have built in amplifiers. Anyone out there with experience and suggestions on outdoor speaker installations at burning man?

https://oceantunnel.org/about-the-project/

BBadger

Re: Sound system for art project

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Though probably rare for installations, theft can and does happen, especially if the equipment is portable. Consider locking up and attaching your gear to immobile structures with cables to at least make it difficult for the gear to walk off. I usually keep just have the security cable follow the power cables if I can so they don't add any additional tripping hazard. Maybe even lag bolt the equipment to the ground with chains or cables if necessary.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

fee-sound
Camp Name: Ocean Tunnel

Postby fee-sound » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:36 am

BBadger wrote:Though probably rare for installations, theft can and does happen, especially if the equipment is portable. Consider locking up and attaching your gear to immobile structures with cables to at least make it difficult for the gear to walk off. I usually keep just have the security cable follow the power cables if I can so they don't add any additional tripping hazard. Maybe even lag bolt the equipment to the ground with chains or cables if necessary.

Thanks BBadger, I will experiment with locking cables.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:20 pm

To viewtopic.php?f=278&t=86762 and this.

The corrosive dust of the playa is unique to sound system use cases. It is very fine, sub 10 micron and corrodes electronics and voice coils. Most speakers are ported, so the bass port will suck in that dust.

Almost all electronics are made in China. They can be reliable or unreliable even to the lot level. A major Western brand will place quality management around that to say the 99% level.

New brands or products are not going to have on-playa experience and will not have enough numbers to judge reliability.

The warranty length can indicate probabilistic quality. But what do you do if you can't exercise the warranty.

Know many who have used older products the J*L EON 2 and Mac*ie SRM 350-450/that brand other powered speakers on the playa successfully. I don't have experience with Yama*a, but would guess they have their act together. If you have a rack, the D*X Driverack is useful, but is not dust sealed.

It is not a good idea to run self powered black speakers in the direct sun.

Power with clean power.

There is a large supply of used PA equipment on Craigs and the like. They are burned in and if they last a few playa cycles a bargain.

Many camps run big rack powered passive speaker stacks. They can afford to trust fund scrap them.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:12 pm

If your installation not to huge or requiring 100dB of sound, use 12volt car stuff. Very cheap. Buy new from big box, but buy two amps and return the extra one if not needed.

Have a bike with trailer to swap out 12v batteries, which will keep music playing longer than you might think.

Charge at campsite or use a solar charger on site, although, as said, treat all your stuff so at least it takes a lot of effort or tools to rip it off.

Instead of two or four speakers with big loads, use lots of 5" to save power and provide lower volume but sound is ambient wherever you are in the project. I once used 36 small speakers (powered by a car deck, not even a separate amp) in a large space and there was clarity of music but conversations could be held in normal voice. Since most dash installed head units have a USB input, there you go with thumbdrive sound file source. I just found some 50watt units on line for $40-$60.

Oh, and the whale sounds won't need a sub-woofer. :D

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:31 pm

+1 on the Dr.’s large array of small drivers methodology.

If you are careful in how you string them wrt the impedance, it can work well.

Also check class-D amps for automotive. Cheap, efficient.

Btw, put 4 x 5” divers in a well designed box and you have a decent woofer.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:08 am

Lots of smaller speakers gives a nice soundspace too as you walk around, not just some single source that sounds artificial. You can even have different sounds in different areas, adding to the effect.

+1 to the Class D amps. They're super cheap and quite efficient and sound pretty decent. Check out some based on the TA2020 "Class T" amplifier.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Building & Making Art”