AC Suggestion?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
BaudEByter
Burning Since: I'm not sure

AC Suggestion?

Postby BaudEByter » Sun May 06, 2018 7:53 am

I was going to build a swamp cooler for my Shiftpod but if I am bringing a genny anyway, why not just use an AC.

Can I run one of a Honda eu2200i? If so, any suggestions?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: AC Suggestion?

Postby Ratty » Sun May 06, 2018 8:01 am

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: AC Suggestion?

Postby Popeye » Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 am

BaudEByter wrote:I was going to build a swamp cooler for my Shiftpod but if I am bringing a genny anyway, why not just use an AC.

Can I run one of a Honda eu2200i? If so, any suggestions?

The biggest reason to my mind to NOT bring a generator is the noise. Even a Honda.
That said, a ballpark figure for current draw from an AC is 1 amp per 1000 BTU for running current. Starting current- the current needed to overcome friction and inertia on an electric motor is up to 200% of running current. A better conservative figure for a new AC is probably 150%.
A generator needs to be derated for altitude and fuel. Check your manual. A guesstimate for a 2 kw generator at Burning Man is 1.8 kw. Derate further if you use propane.
There are reccomendations to add a start capacitor to reduce starting current on an AC. The two new AC's I took apart last year had a start cap from the factory. YMMV.

http://hondanews.com/channels/generator ... ifications 120V / 2200W max. (18.3A); 120 / 1800W rated (15A)
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Return to “Keeping Cool”