Making a class meet up on the playa

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
stephen2u
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: No

Making a class meet up on the playa

Post by stephen2u » Wed May 09, 2018 6:48 am

I'll really like to have a meet up class in the book this year, but I don't knon where I'm camping, I'm not in a theme camp, any ideas on how to do this would help. ??

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Re: Making a class meet up on the playa

Post by AfricanFire » Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 am

Do you have a general area you plan to camp? You could say something like "In the 6:30 and H area - look for directions on street signs. Camp has a large pink unicorn out front. Info also posted at Playa Info. " Then make sure you post directions at the nearest intersections, and make sure you remove them after the class is done. You might also plan to have a camp mate stand in the street announcing the class as people wander by in case some are looking for you.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed May 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Lots of Theme Camps are/will be looking to schedule things in their space, perhaps find a camp to host?

What is your class about?
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

stephen2u
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: No

Post by stephen2u » Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 am

A philosophical theory of Determinism and living with this point of View

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 pm

That may be a hard sell at the burn, but I'm certain you can find a camp that would enjoy the debate this topic would inspire.

Read through the listing of Theme Camps from 2017 and see if you find one that would be a good fit.

Or, sign up for time on the spoken word stage at center camp ... you'd definitely get an audience there.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat May 12, 2018 11:52 pm

What gets into the printed guide is only a very limited number of items (only the first few hundred, or 1-2ish days worth of postings out of 2 months of people adding things to the playa events calendar).

You can either wait until you nail down some camp specifics before considering adding it (it will still be included in the smartphone apps), or you can specify the name of your camp and your intended neighborhood (aiming for 3:00 & H or wherever). The main thing you need to do is specify your camp name (it can be anything you want). From there, when you arrive on playa and get your camp set up, go head on over to Playa Info and enter that into their system - from there, people will be able to find the location.

I also recommend making sure you have an easy to spot sign for your camp, so people don't pass you by. Then make yourself a second sign to put at the intersection you mention in your playa events calendar listing... one that points people to your actual location (so at the intersection of 3:00 & H you could say 'camp located at 3:15 & I' or wherever you land).

Good luck!

Return to “Philosophical Center”