Insects and critters

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Pow Pow
Burning Since: 2018

Insects and critters

Post by Pow Pow » Thu May 10, 2018 2:24 pm

I don’t recall reading anything about needing bug spray or defending angainst critters. Do any of these exist on the Playa?
Dream as if you will live forever
Live as if you only have today...

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Insects and critters

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Not very many. Most, if not all, are brought in on the cars and trucks and die off in a few days.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Thu May 10, 2018 3:35 pm

There are quite a few...

But you're gonna Love them...
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular phazes
Dancipate white hazes of Promenadazes
Swiminfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses Monases
Spuntaneous artkarmaval ~ Burn Bright, All

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu May 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Pow Pow wrote:I don’t recall reading anything about needing bug spray or defending angainst critters. Do any of these exist on the Playa?
Not usually. It's too harsh an environment on the lakebed itself, although you will find suicidal jackrabbits and whatnot in the approach to the playa. My campmate once got attacked by dozens of biting flies near a river in CA on the way in once, also. She had to borrow a tube of cortisone from another Burner. :lol:

Occasionally there will be an anomaly like this one in 2015:
https://journal.burningman.org/2015/08/ ... hose-bugs/

The bugs disappeared by the time the gates opened, but they plagued the Department of Public Works pretty harshly that year.

I highly recommend joining the JackRabbit Speaks newsletter so as to receive timely bulletins about all sorts of things, including unusual conditions like those.

https://burningman.org/culture/stories/jrs/

*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 pm

After five or six days there will be flies

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm

If you go right now (April/May), and stay anywhere near the shoreline, you will encounter no-see-ums.
Little tiny gnats, they buzz around in your face, more of a nuisance than anything until several hours later when you realize those little suckers bit you. They're way worse than mosquito bites. They itch like the dickens and break out into sores whether you scratch them or not. I've spent a good part of the spring up there and have bites on top of bites. Locals (and my wife) wear nets over their faces. I try to cover myself with DEET but invariably forget.

But yeah, open playa in August is safe, unless you fear the occasional praying mantis or butterfly.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu May 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Savanah, Thank you for posting that. I remember the article but did you read the comments at the bottom! Ha. Here's just a taste.

"I just read a report in the New England Journal of Medicine that the spiders currently found on the playa are the type that lay their eggs inside the skin of their hosts (often human hosts). The incubation period is very short, likely resulting in a hatch through a pustule in the host’s skin. The resultant release of up to a thousand young offspring will provide quick physical relief from the wound site, however the risk of infection is still of great concern.

The article goes on to say that in almost every documented case, the host is female. The most potent antidote is….get this…ingesting human sperm! Heaven help the fairer sex."

It was all snark and poking fun.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 am

Perpetual Burn wrote:There are quite a few...

Actually there won’t even be those.
The first two are “art cars”, which aren’t allowed in BRC (the VW was grandfathered in on a historical basis but has since been destroyed).
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri May 11, 2018 9:01 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Perpetual Burn wrote:There are quite a few...

Actually there won’t even be those.
The first two are “art cars”, which aren’t allowed in BRC (the VW was grandfathered in on a historical basis but has since been destroyed).
Artcars are allowed as long as they're mutated beyond recognition. The two above would be ones that would be accepted. The VW, "Oh My God", was demolished in an accident on the way to BRC last year. The owner was banged up pretty good and still has trouble driving. This year he's planning on bringing a wrought iron Beetle. That should be good for the dust. :roll:
I am planning on mine as well this year and I hope your boat will be sailing the lake.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri May 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Golden Mean (the snail) has taken on a new life in Oakland. She is street legal and has become the Mayor's parade ride. She also visits schools regularly. She hasn't been to the playa in several years, sadly.
Her crew is now working on Empire, a spaceship.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat May 12, 2018 8:32 am

Nope... only that snail would get licensed.
The other two are clearly recognizable cars and trucks.
The only reason Harrod’s VW got licensed was because it was considered a Burning Man historical piece, grandfathered in.
That mantis thing is an ‘80s Chevy C60 flatbed, you can see it clear as day.
The “Oh My Gawd” is extremely clearly a VW Beetle.
If you can look at a rig and pinpoint it like that, it doesn’t meet DMV guidelines.
They would get a polite letter explaining why they were not going to be invited to the playa and licensed.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed May 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Ratty wrote:Savanah, Thank you for posting that. I remember the article but did you read the comments at the bottom! Ha. Here's just a taste.

"I just read a report in the New England Journal of Medicine that the spiders currently found on the playa are the type that lay their eggs inside the skin of their hosts (often human hosts). The incubation period is very short, likely resulting in a hatch through a pustule in the host’s skin. The resultant release of up to a thousand young offspring will provide quick physical relief from the wound site, however the risk of infection is still of great concern.

The article goes on to say that in almost every documented case, the host is female. The most potent antidote is….get this…ingesting human sperm! Heaven help the fairer sex."

It was all snark and poking fun.
I didn't see that!

Thank you. :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”