ePlayaStuff & ThingsOpen Discussion Youthful Indescretions

All things outside of Burning Man.
carol1988
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Carol Harrell

ePlayaStuff & ThingsOpen Discussion Youthful Indescretions

Post by carol1988 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 pm

The current subject matter in the Nudity And Nervousness thread inspired me to start this one. Got an embarrassing childhood story that we all can learn from (or at least chuckle at)? Confess!

I'll start the proceedings with this little story:
When I was ten years old, I learned from a science book that graphite is a good electrical conductor. Around the same time, I learned how lightbulbs work and how light sockets are wired. I also knew from past experience that electricity looks really cool. (I once plugged a vacuum cleaner in while it was set to "on" and saw the spark.) Put one and two and three together and you have me standing on a chair in my bedroom with a freshly sharpened #2 pencil in hand, aiming for the terminals in the light socket. Now, lest you consider me to be completely daft, know that the thought of making myself into an electrical conduit had occured to me; I just figured the wood in the pencil would act as an insulator. It didn't. There was a horrible noise like the air around me being ripped in two, and I swear I saw sparks shoot out my elbow. My arm was twitching for about a minute afterward. To this day I'm careful to turn the light switch off before changing a bulb. Although I've never made the sme mistake, I'm positive that event laid the groundwork for my becoming an electrician. Y'know why? As I sat on my bedroom floor, feeling my arm twitch, I wasn't thinking "Ow, that hurt!" No, I was thinking "So that's what the ground wire's for!"

Return to “Open Discussion”