Easy digital cameras VS The Playa

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Grahamr83
Burning Since: 2013

Easy digital cameras VS The Playa

Postby Grahamr83 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:00 pm

I've seen a couple threads in the past talking about playa-proof digital cameras, but tech has come a little way in the past handful of years, so I would love to see what people are using for digital cameras out there.

I'm hoping to buy 2-3 affordable digital cameras for my family to use for this year's burn, and I'm not looking for high-end tech. I've seen a lot of "kids digital cameras" online that tout water-proof, etc... that range in price from $40-$100 but wondering what everyone is using, and their experiences. I'm not looking to use and throw away afterward. :)

Thanks in advance.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Easy digital cameras VS The Playa

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun May 13, 2018 2:05 am

Well it’s a little bit “high tech” but I like to bring a GoPro.
You can take still shots, you can do video, it’s smaller than almost everything else so it’s easiest to carry, and comes in a waterproof case - which also means dust proof. Really hard to beat.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun May 13, 2018 5:41 am

I just got a Fuji XP130. It seems to be "everything proof", and has all the features I use on the playa. Zoom, stills, video, high resolution. Shockproof, dust proof, waterproof. I'll be using it for the first time today.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sun May 13, 2018 8:43 am

For the event I only have 2 features that are necessary. It must take regular batteries, (not a weird rechargeable), and it must have a viewfinder. The little digital screen is worthless during the day.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Sun May 13, 2018 5:26 pm

Grahamr83 wrote:that range in price from $40-$100 but wondering what everyone is using, and their experiences. I'm not looking to use and throw away afterward. :)

You've set up some hard to satisfy parameters.

You didn't tell us the age of the kids.

If they are familiar with smartphones, why bother with a real camera, as I assume anyone over 2 years old is proficient taking phone pics.

Just for fun, why not check out "that auction site whose name we feel discomfort in repeating" and get a used working phone.
    First: search for "Used mobile phones."
    Second: Check the boxes on the left of the screen: "Sold items" and "Completed Items"
    Third: Once you get those selections, choose the brand, example "Apple."
    Forth: Next sort "Price plus shipping: lowest first."

You'll see it's no joke that one can pick up a non-broken screen, functioning Apple phone for $4 to $10, sometimes with cables and charger.

Now that you see that bargins can be made, spend the next couple of months bidding. For backup, buy a couple more than you need, as you can always gift it on the last day of the burn and thrill the recipient.

And yes, you can keep the phones around after the burn, but get ready to add them to that drawer or box you have that contains 100 cables, chargers, phones that you never use. :D

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun May 13, 2018 6:16 pm

i have to agree with the Doctor.

As you know, the dust is a bitch intended on ruining any electronic device. So once it has been to the playa, it should not be resold without disclosing that to the buyer.

I used to be keep every device and I have my first film SLR. But today it is about the image.

The best camera is the one with you that is usable in the light conditions.

I would look for used weather sealed cameras on craigs with a switchable in neutral density filter for day and a wide aperture for night. Kids like macro too, so extra credit for that. Ratty has a point, replacement proprietary battery availability and price should be built in to the plan. Don't buy stolen, that could bite you if the serial number turns up as stolen in the EXIF.

A camera children can carry IRL and make photos year around should be easily found. Used you should be able to hit your price point.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Grahamr83
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Grahamr83 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone. I didn't ever think about old iPhones as an option. Strip them down to the basics and use as a glorified camera.

Ages will be 3 & 12.

We will have a small RV with some solar, so charging the phones will be fine.

Cheers!

annarosatg
Burning Since: 2011

Postby annarosatg » Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 am

You can also rent good quality cameras with full insurance, which is much cheaper than the real deal (all sorts of camera are available, even very high tech, go pros etc). I've done that before, camera is posted to you and you post it back. No issues despite being on playa, but I did take the full insurance, which would cover any potential damage.
Check borrowlenses dot com. I am not associated with them.... just used them and infact this site was recommended in some other post/blog from a professional photographer.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am

The old iPhone angle ... what could possibly go wrong when a 3 year old dials 911.

Even without the SIM it will dial that call.

;)

Return to “Power & Electronics”