Art with exits, safety?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Art with exits, safety?

Post by sparr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:18 pm

I am contemplating an art project that would basically be a room with a two-door airlock, possibly built into a shipping container or maybe just wooden construction like the box of saltines in deep playa in 2017. I expect people to congregate in the room.

Should I add a second emergency exit of some sort? If so, what kind?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Art with exits, safety?

Post by ygmir » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:55 am

a lot would depend on construction materials, and what is expected to, or can, happen within?
that said, I'd say a proximity activated airlock, air or hydraulic operated door. Airlock to maintain what I'm expecting to be some sort of atmospheric conditions inside? If not proximity activated, one with the large paddle switch, so in a panic it would be easiest to activate and open.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:07 am

I hope it's going to be done up like a walk-in at a bar. We'll all sit on ice cold cases of IPA and Coca-Cola. Otherwise count me out.

Oooo. You could make it look like a 'Roach Motel'. (The insect catcher, not the national motel chain.)
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Hey Sparr, thanks for your contributions to the event. Honestly. It took us a while to figure you out on ePlaya and you stuck with us!

I'm with Mr Ygmir, what can go wrong in your space which would require super efficient evacuation?

I've enjoyed many a dance parties in 50 ft+ refrigerated trailers on playa. More please. They had one exit. There is no emergency exit requirement I know of for art and camps. I would speculate do your thing, establish as an LLC, obtain insurance from insurance agencies who know the event, staff your space for any weird thing happening.

This is not legal advice any way any how.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:35 pm

some seeing eye wrote:I've enjoyed many a dance parties in 50 ft+ refrigerated trailers on playa. More please. They had one exit.
Thanks. That's a very relevant example.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:29 am

If it's a short travel distance to the outside, and the total number of participants is less than 50, you should be fine with a single, easily recognizable, outward swinging, 30 inch or wider door with no locks or tricky latches. Since the structure may be without windows, a single set of emergency power failure lights would be advisable if you have 110 volt power-just be aware when you shut down your generator, they will come on and run down the batteries, eventually ruining them. Or you could install continuous solar interior lighting from an exterior 12 volt panel. There must be sufficient continuous inside lighting (not pitch black with flashy light effects) The ambient lighting level does not have to be super bright, just adequate to enable participants to find their way around and out without tripping over people or things.

More than 50 occupants? To start with, at least two outward swinging exit doors, on opposite sides, spaced as far apart as possible, with exit signs and emergency lighting. The safety requirements go way up once you get over 50 inside and become an "assembly occupancy"

CAVEAT: This is coming from a retired fire prevention professional based on nationally recognized standards, not representing official ESD policy, and in no way implies there may not be additional requirements from the BRC Safety team.

Return to “Building & Making Art”