Flying from UK, postal items delivered to Reno mailbox?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
tomdewilton
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: LOVE BEETS

Flying from UK, postal items delivered to Reno mailbox?

Post by tomdewilton » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

I am flying out from the UK and instead of shipping items here (14" lag bolts, bi-filament tape etc), I would like to ship them to a mailbox in Reno for me to collect just before i head out to the playa. I have seen this approach mentioned in general terms in several playa and reddit posts, but I wander if anybody has any experience or advice on the specific details of doing this?

Here in the UK you can get items delivered to the local postoffice to then collect, is it a similar system in the US? Or are they private mailboxes that you pay an additional fee to get delivered to?

Thanks!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Flying from UK, postal items delivered to Reno mailbox?

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:25 pm

UPS may have this option. There are several UPS store fronts here (franchises) so you may have to call a few different ones. Are you staying in a hotel before heading up? Some hotels may let you ship stuff to them too
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Just to be clear, these two are not the same: USPS (United States Postal Service) and UPS (United Parcel Service) a commercial/retail shipper.

Most online stores will not ship to you at a postal office or a post office box. (For a rental fee, some USPS offices have "address" boxes to get around this; sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.)
With many shipments (small, large, light, heavy (even over 100 lbs of electrolyte drink powder)), I've only had one online store refuse to ship to me at a UPS Office.
When shipping to an UPS Store, many online stores automatically use the cheaper commercial shipping rate once the address cues the shipper that its going to a commercial address.

This post
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80304&hilit=reno+store#p1132633
refers to San Fran, but applies to Reno and the links are to posts on Reno, with specific instructions on shipping to UPS Stores.

I prefer the Reno UPS Store on North MCCARRAN as it's usually not busy/crowded. But you have to get to it and back. Various stores nearby, but you don't want to carry much by foot.
Note the Reno Keystone location is closest to airport. Keystone UPS also has a "Savemart" right beside it, which is a grocery store that also stocks some Burner specific supplies. Keystone is a Ride Share pickup location. Liquor store on same parking lot. Check the BRC Survival Guide (mandatory reading) for Reno stores/supplies, as well as searching eplaya.

Be sure to check the UPS Store links to confirm their address, hours, etc..

Currently listed:
North McCarran is open an hour later each day than Keystone.
North McCarran says they'll be open for Burners on Labour Day (holiday weekend), 9:30 to 5:30.
North McCarran is open on Sundays, 10:00 to 5:00.
Keystone is closed Sundays.

NOTE: shipping home from a UPS store. You don't have a commercial account with them, so you'll almost always pay significantly more to ship shit home than you paid to have an online store to ship it to UPS. Plus you'd be shipping back across the pond.
As an individual, when I'm submitting a shipment to an address within North America, USPS is almost always cheaper. They even have some smaller fixed-price boxes. I have no idea about using USPS to ship overseas.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:05 pm

I haven't mailed something to myself using USPS "General Delivery" in years, but I think it is still an option. You would pick it up at the Gerlach Post Office. It would not be delivered to the Playa

https://help.burningman.org/customer/en ... b_id=13074
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:04 am

XPTom wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:05 pm
I haven't mailed something to myself using USPS "General Delivery" in years, but I think it is still an option. You would pick it up at the Gerlach Post Office. It would not be delivered to the Playa
The option of absolute last resort should be sending something to yourself (~edit. at the Gerlach Post Office)
Only items sent through the U.S. Postal Service will be accepted at the Gerlach Post Office. Do not use FedEx or UPS to send any items.
And if you get there and a package isn't there, you've got extremely limited choices for a replacement/substitute in Gerlach. You'll likely be heading back down to Fernley or back to Reno, but there are many specialty items that can't be had in town.

Packages sent to a UPS Store will have their tracking, so you know that everything got there. If you open something and it isn't as expected, you have a lot more choices in Reno than in Gerlach.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”