Electrolytes for Virgins

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
Deriesenu
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: No boundaries

Re: Electrolytes for Virgins

Post by Deriesenu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 am

Thanks for sharing. Heat is a big fear for me because when I get active I forget to drink water...

I'll be sure to remain hydrated from now until we burn.

I'm glad you're okay!

BobSpelledBackwards2
Camp Name: Hushville

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 am

Something I am not clear about from reading this thread is how much electrolyte supplement to drink.

Pedialyte seems to get universal good reviews. Not to discuss if it is the best or not. Rather since I have already decided on Pedialyte my specific question is how much Pedialyte I should drink. Everyone talks about using supplements but with a lot of searching I can't find specifics about how much.

I ordered the individual powder packets (as recommended in this thread) from amazon. This is the "official" Pedialyte website for the individual packets:

https://pedialyte.com/products/powder-packs/orange

It says one packet in 16 oz of water. But how many bottles of 16 oz should I drink per day? It says in the website that 32 to 64 fl oz may be needed per day. But I think there are two topics. That might be if you are dehydrated, to recover from dehydration (in which case probably the answer is to drink enough until you feel better). But the goal here is to prevent electrolyte problems, so my question is how much to drink when you are feeling fine to prevent problems.

Maybe one or two 16 oz drinks per day? Does anyone have any idea?
Live in the Chicago area. I spell my name backwards because there are so many Bob's around I thought I would do something different.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 am

Bobskie, how in the world is anyone gonna answer that for you?

Are you 6,5” 300 pound or are you 5’6” 120 pound?

Do you spend 20 hours cycling from camp to art to camp or are you chilling on the bocce-ball court with a lemonade all day?

As TV doctors say: “take two of these and call me in the morning”

Since we are on page 2 here is the obligatory snark in try Eplaya tradition.

Best way for men to avoid electrolyte deficiency is to pump a couple bags of saline solution over a period of an hour or two into ones scrote, so it’s big, shiny and tight as a drum.

Over the next 48 hours or so, the body will absorbe all that salty water slowly and naturally. And you WILL be a guaranteed attraction for the duration.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am

I usually drink one or two everyday, occasionally three... It just depends how depleted you feel.

Just drink one and see how you feel in a half hour.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

BobSpelledBackwards2
Camp Name: Hushville

Post by BobSpelledBackwards2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 am

Jackass wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am
I usually drink one or two everyday, occasionally three... It just depends how depleted you feel.

Just drink one and see how you feel in a half hour.
Ok, thanks. I ordered 3 boxes of 6 packets from amazon = 18 total, which now sounds marginally enough. Ooops, just checked the amazon order and by mistake I double ordered so I have 36 packets total on the way. Oh well, definitely enough and some extra to gift.

The Pedialyte website says you can drink up to 64 oz per day which is 4 packets. So it seems drinking up to 3 per day as you say should be harmless.

So it sounds like a plan. Although I am now considering Token's scrote solution. It sounds a bit painful but has the advantage that it will last for 48 hours :-).
Live in the Chicago area. I spell my name backwards because there are so many Bob's around I thought I would do something different.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 pm

At some point during the week you'll have a camp mate or neighbor who will be down and hurting, I'll bust out a couple of packets with strict orders to slam these immediately. They'll love you for it

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Aren't we kind of overthinking all this?

Feeling grumpy, unnaturally tired, or lightheaded? Pound some electrolytes, water, and maybe eat something. Grab your hat too.

Going out during the day? Bring a bottle of whatever electrolyte drink you bought along with your water. Running low? Go refuel at camp.

Also, isn't Pedialyte better as some sort of emergency electrolyte drink, like after diarrhea or other incident of severe dehydration, not as a primary source of electrolytes, and that you can get most of what you need from cheaper alternatives (e.g. Gatorade, coconut water, V8), food, and other drinks and stuff? Sometimes it's just the sugar that my body wants, not the minimal set of electrolytes those drinks or food provide.

I do bring a bottle of magnesium-taurate (or whatever one you decide to get besides -oxide or -citrate) and take two pills of that (60% of the DV for a day) in the morning, and maybe some later at night too. That's mostly just to keep my muscles from cramping.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:06 pm

I had never drank pedialyte until I went to Mexico several years ago. They keep them in the little mini fridges right next to the register where one would have the redbull/ energy drink fridge here in the states. Those folks know how to do some serious day-drinking, they also know that they need to pound some pedialyte in order to rally late into the night... kinda like burning man

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:12 pm

I'm looking at my container of "lite" salt 11oz. 1/4 tsp = 1.4g is equivalent to one packet of Pedialyte powder - 350g potassium to 370mg.

There are 78 1/4 tsp in an 11oz container of light salt which costs between $2-4 for the whole container.

The leadinG brand of powdered sport drink dry mix has 45mg potassium per serving at $.11 per serving, at the recommended mix rate 2 teaspoons per 12oz water. So you would need to drink 8 quarts to get one Pedialyte packet.

RDA for potassium is 2-3000mg. So depending on what you are eating a low supplement target would be at least 1500mg per day - 1 teaspoon of light salt or 4 Pedialyte packets.

A 16 oz coconut water is about 2 Pedialyte packets, a (frozen!) banana one packet.

Build your electrolyte drink and eat real foods!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:33 pm

I’m with BBadger on this. Way the fuck too much masturbation with no payoff.

Just eat something, anything and you’ll get more than enough electrolytes.

Bananas, pickles, bacon, or some random strange. :shock:

Don’t overthink this. Satisfy your cravings.

Return to “Food & Drink”