Well I’m going to Honda route

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Well I’m going to Honda route

Post by pedroescobar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Initially I was thinking about buying one of the champion 3400 inverters but decided to go the Honda 3000 route, with the potential of getting a second one next year so I can run 2 in parallel in eco mode. The RV I have has as 13500 BTU AC so we should be good. I’d love to get some input on maintaining generators that make the trip out to the playa. Anyone have experience with these by the way?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Well I’m going to Honda route

Post by Token » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:25 am

First thing I’d do is get the RV and new generator to 5000’ elevation and see if it all works when it’s 90 degrees outside.

Don’t know where you at so maybe not possible.

My story: My trailer will sometimes overpower two Honda 2000 generators in parallel on the Playa due to elevation and heat de-rating. Not always, but sometimes.

Things you can’t control like the house battery charging at the same time, someone leaves a light running all day etc. or atmospheric pressure and humidity in the mix.

A 13500 is a big unit and will push a 3K.

Can you get specs of the plate for locked rotor current? You may be able to add a start capacitor to help with startup.

Locked rotor current is the key.

As for maintaining:

Bring spare air filter.
Learn how to change oil - easy with the right accessories to route and capture the old oil.
Get a spare gas tank cap, modify it so an external marine gas tank can be plumbed to it. - never refuel again - so worth it.

That’s it. Rest is detailing and cleaning off the Playa dust.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:01 am

I have the modified fuel filler caps on both of my parallel connected Honda 2000i's and have them plumbed to a marine fuel tank. I carry one spare 5 gallon gas can, but don't remember the marine tank ever running out. The trick for best performance of the remote fuel system is to fill the generator's on-board fuel tanks almost to the top. That seems to help set up the vacuum flow from the marine tank. Plus it gives you some additional run time. I use ethanol specific fuel stabilizer in all fuel purchased for the generators.

Sometimes I run one genset, sometimes both. I try to keep the operating hours balanced between the two Hondas. I have installed hour meters powered by an inductive wire wrapped around the spark plug leads to schedule maintenance intervals, since I use them year-round, but regardless of time, I always change the oil and clean the air filters after returning from the playa. I carry two spare spark plugs and a wrench, too.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Wonder if it would be worth going with 2 of the new 2200 models in parallel and getting an extended run tank instead. Gives me an extra bump of power and should be able to run a decent amount of time at the same cost. I had planned to do a second 3000 next year but I don’t know if I need the 5500w. I’m planning on running solar ground lights around the RV so the generator is only for powering AC and interior lights, plus charging phones (our cameras for the week).

Token

Post by Token » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm

I’ll say this on having 2 x 2k devices ...

Even a crippled gimp like me can pick one up and get it where it needs to go.

Don’t know how much year-round use you got for a generator, but having three in the sticks where I live is mighty handy.

Can configure a big bank for extended outage or do spot power wherever I need it.

The down side is maintenance x 3, but I got time plenty for that.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Not a lot of need in the Seattle metro area. It will literally be for BM and random camping trips.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm

never had a generator before , but I wondered why these were so cheap?

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... FX739jZiBw
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:27 pm

That seems too good to be true Tatonka. Why are they so cheap?
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Token

Post by Token » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Scammers.

Based on Internet registrar:

"Shanghai Meicheng Technology Information Development Co., Ltd."

Owns about a hundred sites that are pretty much all set up the same. They create about five new sites a week, as the older ones get shut down. They are all phishing sites. They want your bank info, name, address, email, etc.

Stay away from these.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:55 pm

While I have no data, that HAS to be a scam.
I’m not gonna be the first one to give them $100 and my bank card info...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:57 pm

figured to good to be true :) thks guys :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:21 pm

I’d like to second Token’s point.
An EU2000 (ok now they’re EU2200) is under 50 pounds.
An EU3000 is 140 pounds and big and awkward.
The 3000 is a terrific unit and if your situation is such that you don’t need to move it around or load/unload it, I’ve got nothing but praise for the thing.

But... a pair of 2000/2200s weigh less even both together, and you only ever have to lift one at a time.
They also make more power.
They’re easy to connect to an external fuel supply right through the gas cap, the 3000 is not.
At BM, I run mine from a 50-gallon truck tank and never fuel them even if they run 24/7 the whole event.

You can shut one down when demand is low, like at night when the AC isn’t needed, and lower your fuel consumption.

A note about running a pair of 2000s; usually if I have a moderate electric load that is within capacity of a single gen, I’ll run both anyway because two of them barely above idle sounds nicer than one throttled up.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:28 am

Yes, Token's logic changed my mind and I was going to go with the 2x 2200's then plans changed a bit and we are now camping with the people I camped with last year. We weren't on their grid last year, but we will be this year. I'm debating still picking up the genny's (as backup w/ an 5 gal extended tank) but I haven't decided yet.
Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:21 pm
I’d like to second Token’s point.
An EU2000 (ok now they’re EU2200) is under 50 pounds.
An EU3000 is 140 pounds and big and awkward.
The 3000 is a terrific unit and if your situation is such that you don’t need to move it around or load/unload it, I’ve got nothing but praise for the thing.

But... a pair of 2000/2200s weigh less even both together, and you only ever have to lift one at a time.
They also make more power.
They’re easy to connect to an external fuel supply right through the gas cap, the 3000 is not.
At BM, I run mine from a 50-gallon truck tank and never fuel them even if they run 24/7 the whole event.

You can shut one down when demand is low, like at night when the AC isn’t needed, and lower your fuel consumption.

A note about running a pair of 2000s; usually if I have a moderate electric load that is within capacity of a single gen, I’ll run both anyway because two of them barely above idle sounds nicer than one throttled up.

Return to “Power & Electronics”