Lactating Mommas: Need Advice

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
scarrie02
Burning Since: 2016

Lactating Mommas: Need Advice

Post by scarrie02 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 am

Greetings!
I am in search of any mommas out there who have attended the burn while lactating and have experience specifically with pumping on playa. While this is not my first burn, it is my first burn as a breastfeeding mother. I will not have my little one with me but will need to use my breast pump every 3 hours to maintain my supply. While I am confident I will be successful it would be nice to get tips and tricks from those who have experienced this before. As with any medical device, I am sure pumping on playa will present many unique challenges. Specifically, pumping out in the open while away from my camp.

*I should note that I do not intend to save any of the pumped milk. I have plenty for my little one while I am gone and am not interested in the challenge of saving it.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Lactating Mommas: Need Advice

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Maintain your electrolytes with a strong replenisher like pedalyte, as well as maintaining your water and nutrition intake. Consult your professional health care provider. Playa dust contains about 25% organic material, including active brine shrimp eggs and bacteria. It is very fine, gets into every crevice and is very difficult to wash off for some reason. Suggest discarding any dusty equipment when you get back home you think might be affected by that.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

evathedefiler
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Tacoma is for Lovers

Post by evathedefiler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:45 pm

The playa is not the time to try new equipment but consider bringing a back up pump of some sort, preferably manual. It’s tempting to only pump for comfort but that can lead to pumping less than you need to keep supply up. Bring whatever pumping triggers you might need, baby pictures or worn baby clothes. Don’t be freaked out if you produce less on playa. Most supply wobbles will sort out when you are back with baby.

Depending on your ick factor or lack there of, some people dig a sip of breast milk. 😁
Poke it with a stick!

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Do you currently pump? (I assume so, since you mention having saved milk for baby). Use what you know in terms of equipment, and make sure you are drinking way more than you think you'll need. Also,make sure you know how to hand express in case of equipment failure: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pum ... xpression/

scarrie02

Post by scarrie02 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to bring an electric (battery powered) and manual pump. I think my biggest challenge will be staying hydrated (thanks for the pedialyte suggestion!), figuring out how to wash the pump parts after each use (especially while away from my camp), and remembering to pump! (its easy to remember to pump as part of my regular routine but I will be all out of sorts on playa... watch alarm?)
Does anyone have any suggestions on pumping while away from my camp? Unlike the founder of Thinxx who made headlines last year for openly pumping on playa, I am a little more modest. While I realize I will have to pump in public, does anyone have any suggestions on ways to remain semi-private/places to go?
Medela sells wipes used for cleaning pump parts when soap and water aren't available so I guess I will go that route.

evathedefiler

Post by evathedefiler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 am

It might be worth it to bring as many extra sets of valves and the main connector pieces (I can’t think what it’s called) as you can. I find that main connector fussy to clean under the best of conditions. The manual is easier to clean imo. Baby wipes will also do in a pinch. I never found the medela wipes to be that superior honestly. And then I’d wipe dry to minimize getting dust stuck to stuff. Aim for one really thorough cleaning a day at camp though with soap and water and a little tubing brush.

Aka I’m pumping on playa too. 😁
Poke it with a stick!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:03 pm

If the milk is not being saved, wouldn’t a simple rinse suffice for the equipment?

Would it be plausible to use with rinsing only during BM, then sterilize back in the real world?

evathedefiler

Post by evathedefiler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I suppose in theory. But personally I'd still be kind grossed out to pump with something that was too funky. Wipes would be easier, out and about, than rinsing with water, I’d think.
Poke it with a stick!

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:02 pm

I'd definitely go the manual expression route for out and about. I used to be a La Leche League Leader, and I taught so many moms how to do it. Once you get going, you can really express a good amount very quickly. I think it would be MUCH easier than hauling pump parts around. Keep those at camp and make sure you pump properly when at camp, and then hand express for out and about adventures. Directly into a cup/bottle or even the portos would work well.

And you can absolutely pump with rinsed off parts. They won't get funky at all.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 am

evathedefiler wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:48 pm
I suppose in theory. But personally I'd still be kind grossed out to pump with something that was too funky. Wipes would be easier, out and about, than rinsing with water, I’d think.
  • A facility I worked at included daycares from infant through two years. We had hydrogen peroxide cleaning dispensers on the wall in each care room, change room and food prep room.
  • Don't guess at what concentration works or is best, research it. Assuming stronger is better could be a very bad idea.
  • Perhaps a wipe or perhaps a well-sealed container in which parts could be immersed for a period of time.
  • There should be time to check with the manufacturer on compatibility.
  • Do keep in mind storage before use, due to the bacteria and such in the playa dust. Have to clean/treat the storage before each storage for next use?
Wipes also have to be carried out. Not disposed in a porta-potty.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

evathedefiler

Post by evathedefiler » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 am

Of course. I still figure that it’s easier to just put a wipe in a moop bag than to deal with grey water from rinsing away from camp.

All pump equipment I have has listed soap and water for regular clean up and boiling for sterilization. I’ve never come across anyone using hydrogen peroxide for breastmilk pumping.
Poke it with a stick!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:58 am

evathedefiler wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 am
... All pump equipment I have has listed soap and water for regular clean up and boiling for sterilization. I’ve never come across anyone using hydrogen peroxide for breastmilk pumping.
When we had an illness sweep through the facility.

The health department would dictate which protocol to follow, when, with what, including protocols for the strength of the hydrogen peroxide based solution and time of wetted application, depending on infection rate and with what organism(s). Everything and every surface got that as a wet wipe or treatment, as per the health department instructions. There were other disinfecting solutions acceptable (at least as of a few years ago), but some would leave a toxic residue that required further action/instructions and an elapsed time before use. The hydrogen peroxide based solution was deemed food-safe (the golden standard for day cares) (with a harmless residue?). Ten minutes wetted application sticks in my mind, but I wasn't one of those implementing the protocols, I just had to follow the instructions I was given for the doors/floors I had to traverse.

With the bugs in the dust on-playa, this may be a solution to consider.
Again, check with the manufacturer for compatibility.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

scarrie02

Post by scarrie02 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Both hand expression and manual pump seem easier for cleanup and less parts to tote around etc, however both seem less discreet. If I'm out and about visiting theme camps or art I'm trying to figure out how/where to pump/express while being discreet or at least being covered. This is why using a battery powered pump and covering myself with a scarf/apron seems like a better option. I'm open to suggestions!
evathedefiler wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 am
Aka I’m pumping on playa too. 😁
Evathedefiler... whats your plan??

evathedefiler

Post by evathedefiler » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:42 pm

I’m bringing a manual pump and I may just skip the electric. I’m not sure. Hand expressing doesn’t work well for me, so maybe bring both anyway. (I’m a chronic over packer)

My kid is over 2, so I should be fine pumping in camp 2/3 times a day. I’m camp host/ providing a public gift two days anyway.

I have a school bus, so I should be able to clean and dry pump parts as needed without too much fuss. Milk can either go into the grey water or more likely will end up in campmates’ coffee.
Poke it with a stick!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”