Do reverse umbrellas stand a chance out there?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
sleepwalks
Burning Since: 2018

Do reverse umbrellas stand a chance out there?

Post by sleepwalks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:51 am

I've been seeing mixed opinions on umbrellas for shade while you're walking around. It looks like they tend to break or get blown away half the time, but I still see a lot of references to using them. The wind turning them inside out looks like it's a problem-- has anyone had an experience with reverse umbrellas out there? They fold inside out, so I didn't know if they wouldn't break in the wind. They're the ones that look like this:

I'm looking at one with a c-shaped handle that you hook to your arm, to help keep it from blowing away. But if umbrellas just go to the playa to die, idk if it would matter.

Thanks!

Canoe

Re: Do reverse umbrellas stand a chance out there?

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 am

On the right day (or time within a day), people get away with umbrellas.
Be they used functionally, or as an accessory to an outfit.

But unless it's a walk-in-the-park year with light winds, understand the Black Rock Desert Playa gets winds that are commonly up to 35 mph, often up to 70 mph, and occasionally to 100 mph and above. Google eplaya Condition Alpha. Then there's the dust devils, which have lifted and make air borne various playa structures. And if there's a microburst, all bets are off.

The concern in a wind isn't just something getting damaged in the wind, but what damage it can do to things and people as pieces fly off or entire objects or even structures take off across the playa. Many a person have come back to their tent/structure to find that it is destroyed, or simply isn't even there anymore.

So taken down and hanging on your arm, that umbrella design seems less likely than the usual design to get surprised off of your arm. In a wind, even closed you'd be hanging onto it with both hands, but that design wouldn't/shouldn't? rip apart by scooping wind?

Those watching you could be amused, but those downwind would be rather concerned, if they could see it coming.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 am

Hola!

Yes, I use umbrellas while at burning man especially while on a walk about. It’s always nice to have a little shade as you’re walking down a hot dusty street. If the wind starts picking up I do fold it up though. Had an umbrella flip itself inside out only once though
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Paper Parasols are the perfect choice for BM.

They cheap

They burn

They take tempera paint real nice

They gift well

Lots of places to get them in bulk.

a figment

Post by a figment » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:39 pm

My wife uses an umbrella all the time, same one for years now, she just takes it down when wind picks up.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Latest Playa Accoutrement from China...available in Gerlach at the 24hour open vendors!
(WARNING: tether yourself to a pop-up tent in case of Alpha)
umbrella.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 pm
Latest Playa Accoutrement from China...available in Gerlach at the 24hour open vendors!
(WARNING: tether yourself to a pop-up tent in case of Alpha)
umbrella.JPG
If the wind is strong enough, will that serve as transportation?
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Canoe wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 pm
I notice "they" say the speed limit is 5mph for bikes!
I was planning to downwind race the remaining windsurf people out there!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:45 am

DoctorIknow wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:24 pm
Canoe wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 pm
I notice "they" say the speed limit is 5mph for bikes!
I was planning to downwind race the remaining windsurf people out there!
Don't try that in the large whirlwinds?
I once got blown up a hill on my bike in the remains of a hurricane. Regulated speed by how upright I sat. It was slow, but amusing to get up the hill without peddling.

Return to “Keeping Cool”