Inconsistent text layout at different widths

We're doing it wrong...we know
BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Inconsistent text layout at different widths

Post by BBadger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:18 pm

What is with the topic list layouts having inconsistent/malfunctioning layouts? Look at these two:

When the table is narrow, topics utilize three line:
2-lines-narrow.png
When wider, for some reason the text occupies FOUR lines. This should never happen. There is a ton more space than the previous case. Why are the elements below the title being inconsistently restricted and forced to wrap?
4-lines-wide.png
In either case, the topics should use two real lines: one for the topic title, the second for the author, date, and page links. If the second line is too long it can wrap on its own.

These problems don't seem to afflict other phpBB forums. It seem they're being caused by having the 1,2,3, .. page links next to the author/date blocks in the topic list, instead of justified to the right as in the default layout. The layout is not broken in other forums such as this or this.

I'm not even sure what the impetus was for moving the page links near the author/date blocks. It adds no additional utility, creates extra work, makes the forum harder to use, and is breaking the layout. Why even fuck with it?

The forum can look nice and fit whatever ePlaya motif there is by just changing simple cosmetic stuff like the fonts and colors. There is no need to move these elements around, and especially if they're not going to be properly tested and working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Inconsistent text layout at different widths

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful feedback. They're formatting errors in the custom style that the site uses. When someone gets the chance (though most likely not until fall), they'll hopefully get them resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Canoe

Re: Inconsistent text layout at different widths

Post by Canoe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Hell, I'm surprised anyone is responding to anything not Burn related this close to Burn.
You're time is highly likely better spent elsewhere right now.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “ePlaya Feedback”