Party/Bar Requirements for Legal Drinking Age

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Party/Bar Requirements for Legal Drinking Age

Post by jcliff » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:35 pm

I'm trying to get the most current information to share with Villagers for establishing their legal drinking age at parties/bars/lounges. I recently posted our standard suggestion that they have a color photocopy of their ID taped onto their bar cup. I'm hearing back from some that their photocopy wasn't allowed last year and that the original was needed. I've always encouraged folks not to travel on playa with their original document because of the risk of it being lost. Any feedback on the best foot forward this year?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Party/Bar Requirements for Legal Drinking Age

Post by Token » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:00 pm

It is completely up to the proprietor of the establishment to set the local watering hole rules on what is acceptable for their perception of liability.

The liability is that no one under aged be served alcohol, or have access to alcohol in that establishment.

The burden of proof is on the consumer, but the big $$$ fine lands on the proprietor.

I personally always have a drivers license and a state issued ID card up to date and current. That way I can bring my state issued ID card in my lanyard around my neck and not worry about losing a drivers license.

Besides, with the bandanna, goggles, LED lights, chap-stick, and layers of random swag hanging off my neck, an extra lanyard and pouch is .. like ... whatevers dude.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:11 pm

My understanding is that bars are technically not legally required to ask for ID, they are just required not to serve underaged drinkers.

The key here is that should a bar serve someone who turns out to be underaged, then having checked a valid legal photo ID is considered an "affirmative defense". In other words, if the bartender asked for ID and was given one that appeared to be real (i.e. the underaged kid got a good fake), the bar is in the clear.

A photocopy of an ID, however, is obviously not a valid legal id (it could also very easily have been photoshopped to fake the birthdate). Therefore, the bar does not get the same legal protections if they accept it as proof of age. After all, if it's a fake, they're left up a very expensive creek.

Some bars have been stung enough to now insist on the real thing. Others are more willing to accept the photocopy, or even ignore it if someone clearly appears to be way over 21, that sort of thing. It's all a matter of what risk they are willing to accept.

So if you want to be able to get a drink pretty much anywhere, carry the real thing. If you want to be able to get a drink in more places than you might if not carrying anything, carry a photocopy.

If the bar won't accept whatever you did or did not being, then just go find another bar that will. There's no shortage on playa.

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:26 pm

This topic comes up around this time every year. As a bartender in Nevada, I can confirm that Token and Papa Bear have given accurate responses.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:26 pm

We carry our expired IDs which have handy holes punched in them to clip onto our cups or lanyards. However, at our age, if a bar refuses to serve us, they're being paranoid or pedantic. Probably not legal ID, but a step up from a photocopy.

Also, in Utah, we have the choice of a DL or an ID, not both.

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010

Post by AfricanFire » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Also, in Utah, we have the choice of a DL or an ID, not both.
Same in Colorado. It's either / or, not both.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 am

I don’t understand how you can carry your drivers license everywhere else but in BRC you can’t be expected not to lose it.
Maybe take fewer drugs??
I’d require real ID because real cops expect you to.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010

Post by AfricanFire » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 am
I don’t understand how you can carry your drivers license everywhere else but in BRC you can’t be expected not to lose it.
Maybe take fewer drugs??
I don't get this either. Aren't you already carrying a bag with your goggles, dust mask, toilet paper, small moop bag, flashlight, snacks, water, cup etc? Why can't you also carry your driver's license? If you're really worried, get a bag with a zippered internal pocket and keep it in there, or buy a small pouch and use a caribiner to clip it inside your bag so it won't inadvertently fall out.

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:12 am

Last year I carried my drivers license without problem. My passport and passport card expires next year so I’ll simply be using my passport card in my bag this year and leaving my license in my RV.

Drizzt321
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Drizzt321 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 am
Maybe take fewer drugs??
You are not legally required to carry any ID while walking/biking. You do have to give your name if stopped/questioned, although I don't know that they can require you to preset ID if you have it on you. IANAL, but you don't have to have an ID to preset to a cop in general.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:43 pm

This is about presenting ID to be served alcohol at a public place.

And that IS legally required.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 pm

I carry my wallet with me. Everywhere I go, its safer with me than in my car/yurt/camp. If I fall over dead, at least the medic will know who I am.

Our bar asks for ID - at our age (40+) it's prety easy to spot a fake or underage. We just ask them to move over for the next patron.

Cap't is right. Again. if you want to drink and look 21 just carry a real ID.
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Return to “Food & Drink”