Anyone ever try the allergy in-nostril filters?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
OgdenM
Burning Since: 2007

Anyone ever try the allergy in-nostril filters?

Post by OgdenM » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:11 am

I honestly really don't like dust masks. I typically just go the bandana route.. and really don't end up even using THAT enough while I'm in BRC. Both a mask and a bandana fogs up goggles OR my eye glasses which is just annoying.

I typically end up not even using a bandana enough (ALWAYS during a dust storm though) and end up getting so much dust in my lungs that it takes a month to get it out. (I'm not sick, I know what dust in my lungs feels like).

So, I'm wondering if the allergy filters would work. Anyone ever try them?

I can't see why they wouldn't. They are meant to catch particles MUCH smaller then playa dust.

I'm looking at these filters on that evil huge shopping website.

WoodyKnows Super Defense Nasal Filters

maybe

Nosk Anti-Allergy Nose

I know Id probably have to wash or replace the filters more often of course.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Anyone ever try the allergy in-nostril filters?

Post by Token » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:21 am

I don’t see how those will help in a Playa dust storm. The physics are all kinds of wrong for the BM environment.

Any good filter has big surface area. Think of the pro painters masks with the two big cylinder cartridges... Even those guys are hard to breathe through.

I’m sure the nose plug thins help with pollen and such when someone puts a bouquet of flowers next to the salsa bowl but not on the Playa. Not when the dust is thick in the air.

It may help if worn with a damp bandanna tho but then you’re back to the foggy goggles/glasses.

Ten years of Playa jack-assery later this remains an unsolved problem for me as well. See and breathe dust or fog up and wear some kind of breathing apparatus.

Good luck.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 am

Search for the size of pollen. Then search for "particle camp" "playa dust."
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:06 pm

An old playa buddy swears by these. YMMV.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

OgdenM

Post by OgdenM » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Token, the filter would just be for everyday use while on the playa. A dust storm would of course require more heavy duty face covering.

It's been my experience that there is almost always some level of dust in the air while at BRC... I'd think these would help with that.

Token wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:21 am
I don’t see how those will help in a Playa dust storm. The physics are all kinds of wrong for the BM environment.

Any good filter has big surface area. Think of the pro painters masks with the two big cylinder cartridges... Even those guys are hard to breathe through.

I’m sure the nose plug thins help with pollen and such when someone puts a bouquet of flowers next to the salsa bowl but not on the Playa. Not when the dust is thick in the air.

It may help if worn with a damp bandanna tho but then you’re back to the foggy goggles/glasses.

Ten years of Playa jack-assery later this remains an unsolved problem for me as well. See and breathe dust or fog up and wear some kind of breathing apparatus.

Good luck.

OgdenM

Post by OgdenM » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Sweet!

gaminwench wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:06 pm
An old playa buddy swears by these. YMMV.

OgdenM

Post by OgdenM » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:19 pm

Shrug, I didn't look it up but; I think of it this way.

Most of the pollen people are allergic to is microscopic and can't be seen with the naked eye. You can totally see playa dust. Therefore, it is bigger and would be filtered.
some seeing eye wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 am
Search for the size of pollen. Then search for "particle camp" "playa dust."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:59 am

OgdenM wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:19 pm
Shrug, I didn't look it up but; I think of it this way.
Most of the pollen people are allergic to is microscopic and can't be seen with the naked eye. You can totally see playa dust. Therefore, it is bigger and would be filtered.
Nice thoughts. However, 65% of playa soil is smaller than the smallest pollen.
And over 86% of playa soil is smaller than Ragweed.
  • The smallest pollen grain: 5 µ × 2.4 µ as observed in pollen of forget-me-not (Myosotis spp.).
  • Ragweed - one of the more common allergens - has pollen grains ranging from 16-27 microns.
  • Wind-borne pollen grains can be as large as about 90–100 µm.
particle size distribution of Black Rock Playa soils:
Particle Size, Weight Percent
  • Clay < 3 µm, 65.3%
  • Silt 3 to 15 µm, 21.2%
  • Silt 15 to 62.5 µm, 10.4%
  • Sand > 62.5 µm, 3.1%
fine clay or other soil components (SiO2, Al2O3, quartz, micas, calcite, feldspar, vermiculite, illite, and kaolinite), aquatic micro-fauna eggs or dead body parts, bacteria normally on the playa, bacteria deposited by migratory birds, bacteria blown in off of surrounding land and the bacteria in the water that the water trucks spray on the dusty BRC roads.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”