Cutting up my Aluminet

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Grahamr83
Burning Since: 2013

Cutting up my Aluminet

Post by Grahamr83 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:52 pm

I’m looking to buy some aluminet for over my RV to keep it cool(er). However I have a solar panel on the roof and am curious if anyone has experience cutting a hole in their aluminet (for whatever your reasons are) and sealing the cut edges.

Does it hold up ok? What do you use?

I’m also looking for ideas on what to use to prop the shade cloth up off the roof for airflow.

Thank you in advance!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Cutting up my Aluminet

Post by Token » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:01 pm

Aluminet is knit, cuts clean, doesn’t run, doesn’t need edging.

Pool noodles are cheap, available and colorful. If you use them to create the air gap, it helps. You will either need to tape them in place or ensure your Aluminet is tensioned or else they will move around and eventually fall out.

Aluminet would not be my first choice for this. It is not 100% opaque. I’d use Reflectix. Standard roll is 4’ X 25’. Even with this it may be a disappointing experience without using the AC.

If your RV has AC and generator, bringing the needed fuel is the best way to go.

Grahamr83
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Cutting up my Aluminet

Post by Grahamr83 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:48 am

Thanks token, no AC or generator. Building a swamp cooler, just trying to see what other angles I can use to help.

Return to “Keeping Cool”