Anyone have experience with motorized trenching on the playa?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
fyodorjung
Burning Since: 2018

Anyone have experience with motorized trenching on the playa?

Post by fyodorjung » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:51 am

I've read all the threads I could find about digging trenches to hide wires. Older threads urge getting permission but more recent threads say it's fairly common practice. (Please let me know if that's not your experience.) I've found lots of great info about using water to keep dirt packed, laying nylon cables alongside wires to pull up / loosen up dirt later, etc.

But I haven't seen anyone mention what kind of motorized trencher they used. Has anyone used one on the playa successfully? What kind?

I'm afraid that trenchers like this won't be able to handle the hard, packed dirt of the playa. Has anyone tried / would anyone with landscaping experience know?

I've read that it's possible to get DPW to help out (of course, for a generous and worthy barter). My guess is they have heavy-duty, drivable trenchers. But my camp would love to find a motorized trenching option (that isn't a chainsaw) for under $500, and help out other camps who'd like to hide their wires too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sham

Re: Anyone have experience with motorized trenching on the playa?

Post by Sham » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:27 am

I'm not sure what kind of wires you're intending to put in a trench if this is your first year attending Burning Man. There are no trenches and no deep holes allowed to dig into the playa. With that said, I removed your link to a commercial site. I hope this information helps.

fyodorjung
Burning Since: 2018

Post by fyodorjung » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:01 am

I'm joining a camp that's been around a while, and it was suggested I take this job on.

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:35 am

Do you have experiencing doing trenching in the real world? Cause, this is not something that you want to be learning at BM - If you screw up, at best - you could jeopardize your camps future placement, at worst - you get your entire camp ejected from the event permanently .

Whatever you do, it would not hurt to check with both DPW (uh, HEaT) and the Artery about this.
(https://burningman.org/event/black-rock ... lic-works/ and https://burningman.org/event/volunteeri ... -services/) Sorry, I do not have their exact participant contact info.

Oh, and like most burners would say - I don't recommend taking a serious responsibility like this on for what appears to be your first burn. I am not saying you cannot - don't get me wrong! Until you have experienced the playa - the altitude, the heat, the excitement - you should just plan on experiencing, contributing your skills when the opportunity arises - not making any real commitments. (trust me, this is real ;) )
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Bring rugs to go over the wires. Do not trench in your camp..
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Yes, what they said.

Trenching is reserved for the privileged few, the rich n famous, and the Glitterati!

You’re doing it all wrong.

https://journal.burningman.org/2005/08/ ... the-playa/

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Its true. I worked on a project for a certain major art car and we needed a trench. It was like when they call in napalm during Tropic Thunder. Some guys show up and we have a trench right on esplanade in under 30 mins it was crazy. I was like, "How? I don't even let a drip of toothpaste touch the ground."

So all you need is an art car of incalculable value, a showrunner who has been attending for a few decades, at least a few celebrities, the support staff to manage your djs and camp ticketing logistics, a successful annual crowd funding campaign exceeding $30k and beautiful entourage of the most perfect sparkle ponies and a trench should be a radio call away.

Trivial really, I'm surprised you have to ask.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Eh, God gets it done with a polite request and some whiskey and cigs.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:05 pm

gaminwench wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 pm
Eh, God gets it done with a polite request and some whiskey and cigs.
Shhhhhh

Stop giving away the secret handshake

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm pretty sure trenching meant to be only for areas of possible public vehicle traffic. On playa, across a road. Not for hiding wires in your camp. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's not supposed to. Don't take that on as a newbie.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 pm

kittyrodriguez wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:25 pm
I'm pretty sure trenching meant to be only for areas of possible public vehicle traffic. On playa, across a road. Not for hiding wires in your camp. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's not supposed to. Don't take that on as a newbie.
This.
If it's inside a camp, cover those wires with rugs (make sure the edges are sealed). In a day or two they'll look like playa anyway. If you have to cross public roads or if it's for an art installation, hopefully the need was included in the camps/artists placement questionnaire. Have your camp lead check in with placement about it.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Power & Electronics”