SOS LOOKING 4 GOOD ADVICE BIKE BUILD

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
ses2sus
Burning Since: 2018

SOS LOOKING 4 GOOD ADVICE BIKE BUILD

Post by ses2sus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am

Hello lovers and friends

I just fractured my humerus about four inches down from my shoulder and its completely displaced SO i'm getting surgery on Tuesday. I've lost mobility in both shoulders.
I've already pinged DMV to see if they can assist but registration closed way long ago.
Therefore I'm asking for any good advice anyone has on building something like a pedi cab or wagon that that can sit in while my boyfriend pulls me.. Long shot but it would help a lot.
Send me dust fairies
Xo
Ses

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: SOS LOOKING 4 GOOD ADVICE BIKE BUILD

Post by Token » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:04 am

You want to search here on these boards for the word:

Mobility

You will find this fabulous gal

The Rat Lady

And also a few others.

Email or dm the principals and see if they got any ideas or available wheels.

Now if the docs put you in one of them full upper body exo-armor plastic casts like a storm trooper from Star Wars - bonus ! Robot in a pedi-cab!

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm

It would not surprise me if DMV is set up to handle your legitimate last minute need for a disabled vehicle pass but are not in regular communication since they are probably in transition to on playa operations. Perhaps someone who has been in a similar situation right before the burn will crop up and can shed some light on what to do or expect.

I would get all your ducks in a row by having a Dr's note, getting a Disabled Parking Permit, Print out your attempted communications with Burning Man DMV and try to source a gas golf cart in very good working condition and a trailer to pul it in on. When I was at Burning Man DMV years ago I saw them be very understanding of people with disability related transportation needs who had the paperwork to back it up. Gate may impound your golf cart till you get the necessary clearance from DMV.

Good luck with your surgery and have a good burn. I hope it all works out.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes, mutant vehicle registration ended long ago, and more recently I believe disabled registration closed.... but that doesn't mean they can not make an accommodation for a legitimate medical issue (though a part of me does scream for fuck's sakes, maybe this is the year to take off and allow your body to heal properly).

Send an email to the DMV, let them know your situation. See if there's anything they can do, and what kind of documentation you would need from your doctor.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”