solo motorcycle rider hawaii to the fire

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Burnrider
Burning Since: 2019

solo motorcycle rider hawaii to the fire

Post by Burnrider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:41 pm

would like to earn the name burnrider (virgin here) im in hawaii looking to 2019 too late this year. going to seattle sturgis burningman san diego seattle then back to big island. its been done b4 and im no rookie on the road, i know its an island but i log a lot of miles and go mainland for the real hiway. tickets go in half an hour! hows that work, hey im a virgin so bear w/me. it would b great to hook up w/fellow riders there, after sturgis rally or any combo. im not a real hardcore just love the open road and im an experienced road camper survivalist and totaly indepedant if need b any takers for a camp? puttin it out there i can fix anything and am good company, 58y/o male going to the fire, hey its been done b4 and im over 300,000mi.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: solo motorcycle rider hawaii to the fire

Post by Token » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Welcome!

Come often, stay a while, get to know the locals.

Tell us more about yourself, your ride for this adventure, what makes you tick.

Yes, riding in has been done and you will need a support team of some sorts to deal with some of the basics, like 9 days of water. The rest is doable on a bike if you hit the right kind of rig.

Burnrider

Post by Burnrider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:09 pm

thanks the water is a challenge as is all else but being a virgin relying on others experience and stories is thin. the tickets to start need to be addressed, but this is me first. i ride a lot here on big island hawaii thru all the weather on hilo side(wet) i know its warm but not always fun in the downpour. im a 58y/o male with over 300,000 miles riding over 20 + years a free thinker with no hangups and accepting of others semi buddhist. i am a veteran long rider camper survivalist type when on mainland doing my hiway runs every few years ( ship my harley). have not gone to sturgis but next year doing the rally and heading to bm then home i do have skills and can fix or build as a mechanic carpenter type. hope thats a good start and I have lots of questions

Burnrider

Post by Burnrider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

hello realized as a new poster i stepped on ur toes, i mean i do trust the advice for sure being on a motorcycle i must be really prepped so no offense to all of you. not a jerk here, trying to key in the critical stuff as some would think a bike may be too much for the virgin and i aim to earn that name as im not a rookie but bm is a whole new challenge thank you all mahalos from the islands

Token

Post by Token » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Huh?

What toes are you talking about?

You’re doing this well over a year in advance! That is the opposite of stepping in toes!

Your doing just fine.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:27 pm

In 2007 a guy camped next to me from New York, it was his first time and he rode in (on one of those BMW R1200 all terrain bikes). He was a bit miserable in the dust and heat with no really good shelter and little water and food and such. I hooked him up with power to recharge his electronics, cold beers, some good food, etc... until he just wouldn't stay off my girlfriend at the time. Then I cut his ass off from all help and he was back to hot dirty hungry and miserable.

Burning man is a horrible place to come by motorcycle. I get it about the adventure and all, and I’m not telling you not do it. I’m just giving it to you straight, it’s not a pleasant environment when you have almost no supplies.
Many riders who do this successfully have made arrangements with their friends and camp mates to haul their gear.
You’ve got a year to work on that.
And if you happen to camp by me, I’ll run you power, beer, and some good food.

Hope the smoke hasn’t been blowing your way.

You can buy ice at Burning Man. I have an old family recipe to make water from it...

You’ve got a great playa name.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token

Post by Token » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Disclaimer:

I’ve been riding before I was driving.

I was a motorcycle messenger in SF for a better part of a decade before the courts started accepting filings by fax. (BTW, those were the golden days of near tax free big bucks. Technology killed the daredevil).

You hear about folks living out of their cars ... I’ve lived out of my bike :shock: (yes, I had a place where I could shower).

So I’m gonna be a bit biased on what can and cannot be reasonably done for BM on a motorcycle.

Now, the Cap’n rings true. It takes a metric shit ton of planning to do right and being y’all never been before makes it a double shit ton harder.

But we got your back.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “The Greeter's Station”