Yet another post about PVC pipe

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Yet another post about PVC pipe

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:05 pm

To amend my previous post asking about what size PVC pipe I should use to build my shade structure with, should I even use it at all or is it just too weak to stand up to strong winds? Should I just go with EMT pipe instead?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Yet another post about PVC pipe

Post by BBadger » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:27 pm

PVC works for Monkey Huts (MH) because that structure is designed to bend and flex, and it also pushes down when exposed to strong winds. If you're making a MH or something based on it, by all means use PVC. If you're making something more rigid or more apt to break apart and fly away, PVC is not a good choice. It doesn't have rigidity and strength for a building material. You should use 3/4" to 1" EMT or something stronger.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:53 pm

1 inch emt shade structure. Playa tested, easy for beginners and very versatile. You can do one in 2 weeks of you order the parts now.

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks, that's what I figured. What's with the 2 weeks though? I thought you'd just bring the pieces and assemble when you get there.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Yeah I just meant there's still enough time to order parts and get everything you need in the next 2 weeks. ( Vs some other structures that require a lot of pre work and construction at home ). The emt structure may require cutting poles and attaching to the playa is important, vtho so you may want to do a dry run at home and/or Google a bit to look at instructions.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:47 pm

I hope you're not planning on just showing up with a bunch of parts that you've never actually assembled together before.

Ideally, you'd get the parts immediately set up your shade structure at least once so you know that you at least have all the parts, have time to buy any parts you forgot and ask questions if you can't get the structure to work, and try to memorize how to do it so you can do it in the middle of the night without reading a print-out of instructions after a long drive.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”