SOS HELP A SISTER OUT

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
ses2sus
Burning Since: 2018

SOS HELP A SISTER OUT

Post by ses2sus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Hey guys!!
Can someone help me figure out how to clean my brace I have a broken arm so it sweats. ... And people are freaking me out about getting an infection.
Best
Ses

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: SOS HELP A SISTER OUT

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:59 pm

What the hell? SOS? Are you on the playa already? If not, why are you posting this when you could be on your way to the doctor. Since nobody here can see what you're talking about, you probably won't get any educated info. Email your doctor. Call the advice nurse. Drop in to the minor injury clinic. Do something.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 pm

Yeah, talk to your Dr.

I’m assuming you’re done with the surgery and are healing, right?

Being able to tend to and clean any wound will be important.

Go talk to your Dr.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:05 am

What THEY said. Even a medical doctor on ePlaya would not want to give you medical advice without seeing you in person. See a professional. Tell them that you will be in a very dry climate, with highs of 100F+ (although next week looks like mid-90's, but I haven't looked further) and lows in the 50's, but often a bit colder. (The coldest I ever experienced was about 35F . . .even saw ice on the ground! But that probably won't happen this year. Maybe.)

I.E. . . . tell your doctor or nurse practitioner that there will be extremes in weather, great dryness, and alkaline dust. You will also have reduced hygiene, on average. :)

Dust may go down your cast, which you would want to avoid at all costs, especially if you sweat under there. There is a condition called "playa foot" that can extend to any part of the body that gets playa dust and sweat on it, or other moisture that especially activates it. It's painful.

If I had a broken arm and were determined to be on playa, my instinct would be to wear a snug sleeve over it to prevent dust from entering at either end, and take the sleeve off at night in clean sheets. Also, if the break were not too bad and a sling was medically advisable instead of a cast, I'd opt for that, and clean and moisturize the arm before sleeping. But this is all stuff you need to discuss with a licensed professional.

When you chat with your MD or RN, discuss signs of infection (redness, swelling, pain, red lines radiating from the injured area, etc). If you encounter those, go to Emergency Services immediately.
Stations are located at 5:15 and Esplanade and behind the 3:00 and 9:00 Plazas. We will also have three smaller satellite stations behind the 4:30 and 7:30 Plazas on H, and between the Temple and the Man. All are easily identified by a large lit red cross. Trained emergency medical personnel are on duty 24 hours a day.
Good luck!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”