Best Way To Shade A Minivan

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
nanovation
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Panda

Best Way To Shade A Minivan

Post by nanovation » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:57 pm

8) Hey guys! I did my 1st burn in 2001 and am finally coming back for my 2nd burn this year. I'm flying in from North Carolina and renting a minivan to sleep in. I'm coming solo and using a thick queen size inflatable mattress I'll set up in the back of the minivan. I'll also bringing a small tent for putting my stuff in and getting changed.

I've done a lot of research on the best way to keep the minivan cool, but since it's been so long since I last burned, I've got a couple of questions that I would greatly appreciate your insights on.

RADIANT BARRIER QUESTIONS
1. Would it be better to tape on Reflectix OR the thinner Attic Foil material I see on Amazon or does it matter? I'll be using stucco tape and taping it on the outside of the window of course.

2. Would it be a good idea to tape on the same radiant barrier to the roof of the minivan as well or would that turn it into a mini-bake oven?

SHADE QUESTIONS
1. In addition to the radiant barrier, from the research I've done, it sounds like the best way to shade your car is by using Aluminet shade cloth that is suspended at least 12" above the minivan to ensure it doesn't rub against the minivan during intense wind storms.

With that in mind, what's your favorite way to suspend shade cloth above your vehicle? Build a Monkey Hut like this one?

Securing the necessary PVC pipe from Home Depot before driving out to the Playa should be doable (as long as it's not sold out), but I'm not sure if this is the *easiest* way to create the structure. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Drizzt321
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Best Way To Shade A Minivan

Post by Drizzt321 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Reflectix/foil would more or less be fine, except it's going to create a LOT more wind pressure than shade cloth, so securing might be an issue, or it might just tear through in high or gusty winds. Heavy duty tarps or shade cloth/aluminet are a lot more durable, with shade cloth/aluminet being the easier since it doesn't create as much (although it can still be a fair bit) of force in winds. The monkey hut design as per below is good, just be aware the depending on what's around you morning/evening sun will hit your car, or if the front/back is positioned it'll come straight through the whole thing morning and evening.

nanovation

Post by nanovation » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback Drizzt321. I would only be using the Reflectix/foil taped to the actual minivan windows; not using it as a shade over the entire minivan. For that, I plan on using shade cloth/aluminet.

Token

Post by Token » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:04 pm

You have a minivan - yay!

You’re gonna tape Reflectix on the windows - yay. Cover all windows for a full blackout.

Park your minivan E-N-E

Get a low-to-the ground cot and put it port-side of the van (left side) towards the ass-end of the van.

Cover the cot with a thrift store sheet.

When it gets too hot in the van for sleeping, stumble your way out to the cot in the shadow of the minivan and continue sleeping. Toss the dusty sheet before passing out on the cot.

There you go. Playa life.

nanovation

Post by nanovation » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Awesome! Thanks Token. By the way, What does E-N-E stand for? "East Near East"?

Token

Post by Token » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 pm

East North East

The north side of east. Basically point the van at sunrise.

nanovation

Post by nanovation » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Done! Thanks again.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 am

nanovation wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:57 pm
RADIANT BARRIER QUESTIONS
1. Would it be better to tape on Reflectix OR the thinner Attic Foil material I see on Amazon or does it matter? I'll be using stucco tape and taping it on the outside of the window of course.

2. Would it be a good idea to tape on the same radiant barrier to the roof of the minivan as well or would that turn it into a mini-bake oven?
Reflectix.
The exterior foil reflects, but it also absorbs some and that heat builds up. That heat, and the hot air, will try and conduct inside, so the insulation layer of the reflectix does its job to delay heat getting in. And where it can, the interior foil layer has low emissivity, so the heat that does get through the insulation to that layer can't radiate, only conduct. It's also robust and has a proven track record on the playa in this application.

Key for sleeping in the morning, is covering the East and South glass. Consider covering the whole side facing East against the early morning sun.
As the air and ground heats up, then the rest of the glass matters, as the hot air and sun-baked ground will radiate in through the glass. The hot air will conduct too.
Which is why covering the roof reduces the direct solar radiation and heat from the hot air.
Then there's the whole South side, as like the roof, it will be getting all sources through most of the day.
So it depends on what part of the day having it cool is important.
You can have a 1" square hole on a piece covering some North glass so you have some light inside.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

nanovation

Post by nanovation » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:58 am

Thanks for the feedback Canoe! Much appreciated.

Return to “Keeping Cool”