What’s the best way to hang/suspend things inside a yurt?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
adkisson
Burning Since: 2016

What’s the best way to hang/suspend things inside a yurt?

Post by adkisson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Specifically, I’d like to drape fabric through the middle to create two “rooms.”

Second, I want to create a solar chimney to allow hot air to escape by running ducting from the top of the yurt to the window on the side. How can I attach the ducting to the roof without causing irreparable damage?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: What’s the best way to hang/suspend things inside a yurt?

Post by Token » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Goop Adhesive.

Drizzt321
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Drizzt321 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:45 am

Since you're going to be building from scratch, you could put small strips of fabric or hooks on the ceiling at the panel joins, so as you're taping down it'll just be taped in securely if it sticks out the top and over onto the top slightly.

Or a touch of superglue with a small strip of cloth, then clip the main cloth to that.

Solar chimney...that's harder. Dunno about that, never done any research.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:51 am

A chimney is basically a linear motor, accelerating the air as it goes up.

A sun directed angled area with a shallow box open top will draw air up sucking the already hot air from the inside of the Yurt.

(My fanless part of evaporation cooler)
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

goodleaf
Burning Since: 2018

Post by goodleaf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:07 pm

We used 13 six inch segments of pvc pipe with a length of mule tape strung and knotted through each of them them.

We taped the pipe + mule tape segments with bifil to the joints of the roof just before we set up - 6 just above the walls and and 6 more about halfway to the roof. One more near the very top of the roof.

We used binder clips to hook lights onto the mule tape. Also draped cheap gauzy fabric from the wall-roof joint up to the roof for decor.

Pics of the yurt interior -

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:25 pm

That is one seriously decked out yurt. Was it wired for electrical / lighting?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:30 pm

drift warning
Traveller in Time wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:51 am
A chimney... will draw air up sucking the already hot air from the inside of the Yurt. (My fanless part of evaporation cooler)

Nice try, but no free lunch. Although that will create a negative air pressure inside the yurt, you're hoping to draw adequate airflow through a wetted swamp-cooler filter, at a rate that will exceed the heat-gain of the structure. Good luck with that. AND, any negative air pressure is also drawing hot dusty air in through any leaks or around the door. Those leaks are also a path of less resistance.

Some people have noticed that with a swamp-cooler powered off, while the pad is still wet, a wind blowing from the correct angle will blow some air through the pad and cooler, getting chilled and into the structure. If you kept the pad wet, catching the wind to put it through a cooler could be done, but now your cooling is dependant on having wind. How much stuff, and time adjusting, are you willing to spend to save _____, when you can have enough chilled dust-free air whenever you flip a switch.

I've been curious about using a solar chimney (like seen venting some outhouse 'deposit areas') to vent a container of grey-water. Let the humid air get vented out the top, dry air drawn in below, to suck up more water. Just do not let a wind knock the chimney over, spilling the container of grey-water with it.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

goodleaf

Post by goodleaf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:08 pm

spacetime wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:25 pm
That is one seriously decked out yurt. Was it wired for electrical / lighting?
We had a solar panel and wired one extension cord into the yurt for the lights. And we had a swamp cooler outside though didn’t use it much as the yurt stayed pretty comfortable and cool. No other electronics for the yurt (it was our first year so wanted to keep things manageable in case we ended up not having electricity).

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Is that wallpaper? Did you have a second tent for supplies etc?

goodleaf

Post by goodleaf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:00 pm

spacetime wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:19 pm
Is that wallpaper? Did you have a second tent for supplies etc?
Yep, wallpaper. I looked at bulk wallpaper companies online, specifically their discontinued/clearance patter s and picked the pattern based on the clearance price but was pretty happy with how it turned out.

The wallpaper is taped onto the bifil at the top and gravity made it hang flat, no tape on the bottom.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Well that is like the yo mtv cribs of yurts right there. Impressive setup for your first year! Did you build your swamp cooler?

What would you do different next time?

goodleaf

Post by goodleaf » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:51 am

spacetime wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 pm
Well that is like the yo mtv cribs of yurts right there. Impressive setup for your first year! Did you build your swamp cooler?

What would you do different next time?
Ha, thanks!

I did build the figjam swamp cooler, and tbh I just followed the instruction and didn’t read all the discussion which I should have. It worked well but I’ll have to take another look next year, maybe a more powerful fan or research what the unicooler is, I’ve seen passing references but need to look more closely.

This year, we were very comfortable in the yurt all day and only turned the swamp cooler on when we had neighbors sleeping in there in the afternoon to recharge or had 5+ people in there in the afternoon hanging out and it worked pretty ok. But if it had been a hotter year. I would have wanted to figure out a better system.

You also asked about supplies - we had a supply/sleep tent for the night we got in - a contingency because I didn’t want to have to set up the yurt in the dark or in high winds.

Otherwise, our supplies were mostly in the yurt (the bed you see had lots of room underneath and every corner of the yurt had those three drawer plastic storage bins, which made it really easy to keep our stuff organized because everything had a home).

We also had setup a costco carport that was street facing and that’s where the couches, tools and kitchen stuff lived. Carport came out pretty nice too, especially at night.

Next year, I’m definitely not bringing the shower. We had a whole setup from another burner and didn’t use it once. Between wipes and sponge baths, we were good. Camping toilet was clutch though, portos aren’t bad but nice to be able to go when you want.

I had an electric trike this year and next year I want to add speakers go it maybe. And also figure out some kind of food or drink gift for deep playa that I can do on my trike - like I have dreams of bringing out my dosa stone and making sunrise dosas but right now it’s a hare brained scheme and I need to think through it.

Sorry for rambling! Your questions sort of prompted all this reflection that I hadn’t quite gotten around to doing :)

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for the additional details. What kind of bed frame did you use where you were able to put storage under it? That sounds really good. Also it sounds like you had a fair amount of gear, did you use a trailer for all of that?

Rambling is good, I'm interested in details of what people learn about their camp infrastructure. Particularly if it is a first time thing. Glad you made it and are thinking about going back.

goodleaf

Post by goodleaf » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Yes, the bed is on a wooden platform and can fit storage bins underneath, good eye!

We had built the platform a few years ago to be able to turn our SUV into a camper-type setup when needed, so it was easy to repurpose that here. The platform is in three pieces, they’re light and require 5 minutes to assemble with carriage bolts. We assembled the platform in the yurt, I don’t think it would have fit through the door.

In terms of getting stuff to playa, we had committed to/budgeted for getting a box truck as part of our planning this year. I didn’t want to take our vehicles to the playa because I was unsure about the effects. Next year I wouldn’t hesitate to bring our SUV, which is a beater, but we’d need a trailer then. I don’t have mucn experience packing or pulling trailers and I understand there’s a bit of an art to it so wanted to save that learning curve for a later year as well.

Box truck enabled us to easily (1) bring the yurt panels, (2) bring comfy furniture for the street-facing carport and (3) for me to bring a tricycle. The trike is heavy and unwieldy to transport but it was sooo nice on playa being able to leave camp with food and warm clothes and stay out all night. I also appreciated that having the additional room cut down on our loading time at home and on playa.

Still, renting a box truck for two weeks is relatively expensive (ours was about $800) so I’m not ruling out other options next year.

How do you get your stuff to playa? I’ve been telling myself that we could just bring less but I love building things as does my husband, especially when it’s temporary and BM is such a fun place to do it.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 am

Your prep sounds top notch. I’m impressed by it. What other events have you guys done that led up to you doing burning man?

My original prep fit in a few cubic feet as pictured here. It went in bus cargo.

In more recent years my friend and I did a yurt strapped to the top of a fully packed sedan with bikes on a rear bike rack.

That was a little nuts on a 10 hour drive but it worked two years. Can’t say I recommend it though.

This past I went back to more simplistic and did tent with a fancier power setup and minimal but decent camping furniture and gear organization. Also disassembled bikes and packed everything in an Outback.

Drive was much easier to have everything inside a car.

I am considering an art project for next year that may require a trailer. I have considered getting a pickup for this (and some other) purposes but hopefully won’t have to get a vehicle primarily for Burning Man transport but I can see myself doing this too. :)

I think a box truck can work but I’d need to share costs w other burners or get the art project sponsored.

Rarely do you see someone offering up space for cash well in advance of the burn. But I think if it was carefully handled the price for transport rental could be reduced this way.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:51 pm

A smallish enclosed trailer and something that can tow it really is the sweet spot for 2-4 people. They are cheap to rent, inexpensive to buy. If you buy one and have a place to store it, then you also have an enclosed storage space for your infrequently used gear. Hexyurts eat up a lot of space, but in a 6x10 trailer you can fit two yurts, four bikes, a chest freezer, generator, fuel, water, food, shade, everything.

Renting a trailer really works well. There is no mileage charge. They are easily found, or if not in your area it is easy to do a 1-day road trip to go pick one up from elsewhere. This might even make your rental really cheap; for example if you go well outside a major city and set your drop-off location as the major city, then they may give you a very low rate for the favor of moving inventory to a hot market. The per-day rental charges are fairly low. They are just a metal box, and therefore comparatively easy and fast to clean before returning.

Last time we rented a trailer, we also priced out a small box truck to carry the same amount of gear. The trailer was a quarter of final cost, daily rate and mileage considered.

You need to have a vehicle that can tow the trailer. I have a V8 engine but it's a bit old, and it had trouble keeping above 45 on a few of the steep mountain grades. You also need to be very careful with loading BOTH times you pack the trailer...and recognize the signs of fishtailing early enough to stop and rebalance your load instead of going off a cliff.

goodleaf

Post by goodleaf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:23 am

spacetime wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 am
Your prep sounds top notch. I’m impressed by it. What other events have you guys done that led up to you doing burning man?
Thanks, that feels good to hear from someone who’s familiar. Honestly, we hadn’t done anything remotely like this before - just some car and tent camping at state and national parks for long weekends.

Husband turned 40 this year and I was in the hospital for his whole birthday month of May, so after I got out, I was looking for something special to celebrate him. I had barely heard of Burning Man and a friend of a friend started a new job in mid-June and couldn’t use his tickets this year and posted on social media so I bought them from him as a gift for my husband.

Then I started researching and had a sort of “oh fuck” moment when I realized the scale of what I’d signed us up for. Imagine learning about playa conditions and moop and gray water and leave no trace in June! July and August were basically 100% prep on the weekends as a result. So happy everything came together.

Thanks for sharing your transport experience. I was thinking of offering space in the box truck in the future as a way to mitigate budget too - we could easily fit a bunch more bikes and some of the costco bins in the truck, I’ll try posting in the LA-related groups next year and see how that works.

And maladroit - your trailer tips are great, totally see how it’s cost and space effective. When I do more research on this, I may have some follow up questions.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks for all the additional detail about your decision to go.

There is a lot of derision of turnkeys and neo-drainbows at the burn. But at least anecdotally your particular story says the burn is still not only approachable but winnable when capable people truly self-select in.

That’s cool you did this to celebrate your husband. He must be a good guy.

I hope you both go next year. I’m sort of a fair weather poster here but if you are on and going next year it would be cool to check out what you cook up.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:49 pm

I need to start using that term "neo-drainbows" now.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:50 pm

BBadger wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:49 pm
I need to start using that term "neo-drainbows" now.
I’ll watch for it

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”