Canvas floorcloth

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
haptotrope

floorcloth reportback

Post by haptotrope » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:10 pm

old thread, I know... but this was my floorcloth that I made:

here is is in use -- w/ links to other photos

I was very very happy with it even though I did not keep a "shoes off policy" which would have been nice... if impossible for me to keep my own rule.

All the dust seemed to come from the substantial leaks in my dome, not through the floor... so I'm not certain adding more gallons of paint would be needed.

The design was painted on raw dropcloth canvas with latex paint mistints by a series of friends of mine (we did a dry run set up, laid out the cloth in the dome, and all my friends painted it together.) It made me very happy to take this collaborative project with me to the playa.

phil

Post by phil » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:55 pm

I looked at the other photos - _very_ nice artworks.

Did the canvas drop cloth moved when touched? :->

mikeprachar
Burning Since: 2004

Re: Canvas floorcloth

Post by mikeprachar » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Not sure if anybody is still monitoring this old post... I'm planning to buy canvas to replace carpet remnants (too heavy and bulky) for a 30 x 40 ft. floorspace. We get lots of traffic during the week, and I am wondering if very basic 10 oz canvas drop cloth material will hold of for 2-3 years or it it's going to be shot immediately. Some holes and tears can be patched up easily enough; I just don't want it to become a total mess...

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:20 pm

The problem I encountered with a canvas painter style drop cloth as a floor is that alone with no waterproof underlayment rain will make it stick to the playa bad.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Post by Grumpy Otter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:53 pm

As long as you are not wearing stilettos or golf shoes, drop cloth canvas should stand up pretty well. I used one of the heavy duty tarps from Harbor Freight last year for floor covering with no problems. No significant rain, though.

Return to “Leave No Trace”