Do Generators Need Shade?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
curiousjosh

Do Generators Need Shade?

Post by curiousjosh » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Wondering about a honda 2000 that seems to not perform as well out there as back at cooler festivals in socal.

Would it help to have shade over it?

Canoe

Re: Do Generators Need Shade?

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:37 pm

It shouldn't need shade. I can't recall hearing of that issue. I only ran a generator on an RV there, and it ran fine, but I didn't use it much.
Some run them in sound absorbing boxes, with ventilation.

But it is ~4,000' and the (air) Density Altitude can go over 6,000', 7,000' and sometimes testing 8,000'. So it may not be getting the mixture it's used to.

Checked your filters?
(don't spill...)

Possibly over tasked?
viewtopic.php?f=278&t=67646&p=1157996&h ... 0#p1157996
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:43 am

Been running EU2000s for many years in BRC.
It’s the altitude. They never make as much power up there on the almost-mile-high playa.
Same for all others.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Guard Dawg
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Guard Dawg » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:23 am

Shade not absolutely necessary but couldn't hurt. Performance between sun and shade probably not measurable.

Mile high elevation (Altitude is an aeronautical term)? Are are oxygen tanks permitted or, do I have bring a molecular sieve oxygen generating unit? "MSOGU."
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:42 am

density-altitude-by-Sandi-Kovach-Long-lres.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:14 am

As for shade, I don’t shade mine but I apply sunscreen to them twice a day and give them a sno-cone.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Guard Dawg
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Guard Dawg » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:14 am
As for shade, I don’t shade mine but I apply sunscreen to them twice a day and give them a sno-cone.
That's KINKY!!
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:55 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:14 am
That keeps the bilge rats happy eh?
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Jackass

Re: Do Generators Need Shade? No, but they do need maintanance...

Post by Jackass » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:39 pm

PRO TIP THAT MOST OVERLOOK:
Don't forget that if your generator's running like shit, you need to take the spark arrest screen out/apart and clean like new, and blow all of the soot out of the muffler before you put it back together. Usually accompanied by a full or partially fowled spark plug, just burn the plug dry with a heat gun or propane torch and wire brush clean. They tend to run rich at that elevation, backing up the exhaust with soot until it won't run.

You may hear a hissing or whistling sound when it's running...

This must be checked, I've even seen it on the EU3000 (and several other lesser brands), it would run for about 15 min and then run like shit until it died and wouldn't start, or just not start at all.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Return to “Power & Electronics”