"Everyone comes to Black Rock City when they're supposed to" - L. Harvey

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
GroundStart
Burning Since: 2019

"Everyone comes to Black Rock City when they're supposed to" - L. Harvey

Post by GroundStart » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi everyone, into post alert.
Essentials:
I'm a former computer nerd turned electromechanical fixer. I've probably been looking at Burning Man for over ten years. Middle age, very male, straight edge (no alcohol/tobacco or other), grey ace, runner, maker.
Story:
For twenty years or so I've always seeked odd gatherings. I've been to a countless number of fan/pop-culture/sci-fi conventions and after a long time I started making costumes to wear. Attended a couple dozen music festivals, the making-of-stuff intensified a little. With the Midwest Burner regional, I've probably attended well over a sum dozen of regional Burns, art events, mini-fests and other Burner events. I've done several things for those including an interactive art installation.
So Burning Man was always gnawing at the back of my mind. A while back I was doing volunteer work building an effigy for a local Burn event and wouldn't you know, a 2017 ticket was offered to me. I'd just started life over, finished a degree and flown around the world, but I was not finding work, and was having a hard time. I had missed two Regionals, the only camping I'd done was to fulfill a Physical Education requisite. Going off half-cocked, financed by borrowed money and prepared with no prep, on the biggest deliberate freakout ever, did not bide with me. With a heavy heart, and half of the Regional contingent hassling me to go, I declined the ticket.
Instead, 2017 was my first year in Camp Envy. Painfully underemployed, I had plenty of time to watch the stream, chat on IRC, and listen to BMIR. I was "there" for the Man burn, the Temple burn was spectacular. It was an eBurn, but it was the most of Burning Man I'd ever known and learned. I started making plans to go in 2018.
Well, I did wind up getting work, but I made a huge daring scary lifestyle change which ate up months of time and piles of money. Burn prep did not happen.
So I sat in Camp Envy 2018, in a living condition almost as turbulent but certainly less dire than the previous. I opened up my old plans, and changed the dates to 2019. Why not? Even if it doesn't work, the runner-up prize is a 2019 Regional.

Now I'm here. I tend to over plan and over thing things so I'll probably ask lots of questions.

Name:
GroundStart is not my Burner name, I don't really have one. "Groundstart" is a type of telephone service typical of business phone systems, for some reason it's what I use on Freenode IRC #burningman.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: "Everyone comes to Black Rock City when they're supposed to" - L. Harvey

Post by Elderberry » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Amedao
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Amedao » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:45 pm

That has been me in camp envy many years now... I think they keep an old WWII cot in the back for when I come down to slum it. I am bound and determined to either go in 2019 or 2020. I feel you when it comes to the turbulent lifestyle changes and in my case life 'fiend fyre' that I feel I am battling on a regular basis.
I know I would be able to afford the ticket, and getting the supplies and general survival gear for a week+ in a desert environment, also should not prove impossible. Its the getting away part;
1. In my house I am the one that drives everyone everywhere.. so I can't take the van and I would need to make sure there are not MAJOR appt's for that chunk O time in aug/sept.
2. It would have to be me by myself because everyone one in my immediate family/friends are all introverts or lazy.. and when I've asked and or talked at length about going with.. I get the "have fun with that..."
3. I'm in NC on the east coast, and I know there is a burner presence her in NC and I've talked to a few of the major players in that regards but as of right now I'm technically and orphan for theme camps and still a burgin and would still need to find a way to fly down to Reno at least.

I am not above the idea of joining a group or theme camp or ride share, I just want to go and experience this thing/event/place for myself and if needs be then save up so that I go it alone.
I would say this for those (like me) that feel like there stuck on the outside looking in, stop wishing.. start planning, start putting 20 bucks aside in a shoe box or in a savings account. Start looking at sales that you might see at Wallyworld or a local goodwill or second hand shop. Every piece that you can get now when its not crunch time is one less thing to worry about later and it FEELS like your getting closer if your even doing a small tiny bit to get to where you want to be.. But move forward towards your goal even if its baby steps at first. And hopefully I will see you all at the next BM on the playa.. maybe I will talk your ear off in Wilmington at there events..

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:52 am

Welcome Aboard.

Groundstart is good enough for here. Don't worry about playa names, they happen when they're supposed to happen. You don't always get to choose.

Making the burn happen is not always easy, and I think those who scratch and prep and find others on the same path and make it all work are the ones who contribute most to the event. You are invested in not just attending, but participating to the fullest. I dislike the one and done burners, not the ones who just don't care for it, but the ones who buy their burn, look around, consume the experience, then go, often leaving behind their bikes and moop. I get excited about people who really have a passion for attending, no matter the obstacles to overcome. Welcome Home, indeed.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Welcome, GroundStart!

In much the same manner that you come to Black Rock City when you're supposed to, your playa name will arrive when it's ready, too. They are often given to you by a campmate or acquaintance, after something funny or awesome happens . . .

I don't think I got mine until my 11th or 12th Burn. I wasn't looking, it just arrived.

You can even change your ePlaya name eventually, should you need to--provided no one else already has the nickname. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”