North Pole 30 ft Shade Canopy - seek center pole

All things outside of Burning Man.
cjoy01
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Where?House

North Pole 30 ft Shade Canopy - seek center pole

Post by cjoy01 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 pm

I have the infamous 30 foot North Pole Party Shade teepee canopy, and someone borrowed the center pole and LOST IT. WTF!!!! Does anyone know where I can find the center pole? I guess it's about 12.5 feet tall?
I have all the parts and the canopy is in like new condition, hardly used. The pole is unique, so I'm really hoping someone knows where I can find one. I know it has not been manufactured since like 2009, so maybe someone has a pole left because they can't use the canopy anymore?

I will be so happy if I can find a center pole that works, or can somehow get one made to use. And lesson learned hard- NO ONE will ever borrow it again.

Thanks for any info!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sham

Re: North Pole 30 ft Shade Canopy - seek center pole

Post by Sham » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:48 am

Just by eye, that center pole appears to be about 8 to 9 feet tall. The first thing I would recommend is to set up the tent and figure out exactly how tall that pole needs to be. It will take two people to measure this.

At a home improvement store such as Home Depot or Lowes, you need to get innovative and creative. Roam around the electrical, plumbing, and hardware departments. Depending on the sturdiness you need, you can get plastic, aluminum, steel or even wood. You may even find a flagpole that might be perfect. There are joints and caps that can be used to fabricate what you need. Depending on what you decide, you may get out of this for around $10 or so.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:36 pm

There is a fitting at the top of the tent that the pole goes into, that would give you a measurement for the pole diameter. Image search pulled up a site that lists the tent height as 12.5 ft. What you will have trouble finding (if it is missing... you say you have all the other parts?) is the three way plastic fitting that holds the horizontal poles that go out from it. You'd have to sew some attachment points. There is a thread in this forum (titled: North Pole Party Shade) where a burner here used a hoop of pvc that went around the circumference of the tent at the height of the horizontal poles, mainly to tighten the walls some, and keep them from drooping inward. I wonder if that would work in place of those poles. I hope you take advantage of the old threads on this tent here. One burner wrote that she had a new three way attachment part fabricated to replace one that shattered in a Texas wind storm. I have a north pole, and love it. If I had it here I would get you some measurements. sorry, and good luck.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

cjoy01

Post by cjoy01 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 pm

I do know the pole is approx 12.5 ft, I still have everything including the instructions, and the carrying bag. A person borrowed the center pole only for his teepee tent, and somehow lost the pole. It is extremely disappointing! Never lend something out if it is unique and irreplaceable! :( I have some ideas for the center pole, which is all that I lack. Being the canopy is durable and a heavy material, I do not think a simple PVC tube will stand up. But, if anyone happens to know of someone that perhaps has a ruined canopy and can't use it it, maybe I can acquire the pole. The pole was very sturdy and was heavy, but also convenient for storage because it came apart. Its not a flimsy pole like is used on some teepee tents Ive seen. I have enough creative ideas to probably rig it, so if I do not find a pole, I can probably come up with something. I'm not banking on it costing $10, but I think might be possible to stay under $50-60 I guess.

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:39 am

cjoy01, where do you live?

I may be able to help ...
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 am

Hi Patsh. I was wondering if you were gonna jump in on this.

I hope to see you in January.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:07 am

Ratty wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 am
Hi Patsh. I was wondering if you were gonna jump in on this.

I hope to see you in January.
I hope to see you then, too!
It's in the plan, but the weather may play a role in deciding. It's so much easier getting there when there's no snow.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:22 am

I think fence top rail comes in about 13' lengths and has a handy formed end that fits inside the main interior diameter. This means you can cut the piece in two and have 2 roughly 6' pieces to transport and then they fit back together for a full length piece. It's in the cyclone fencing area of your hardware store.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

cjoy01

Post by cjoy01 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:30 pm

I'm in the Atlanta area.
The original pole broke down to I think maybe 3 ft sections or maybe 4 ft. 6 ft is a little long, but if I had to do it, at least I can use the canopy. It's a nice setup. I'll check out that fencing area, thanks for the suggestion. I've got some ideas in mind to explore.

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

TL;DR

I and I, Robot
Of Love, Logos, Providence
Protector of Karma, Lord of Nirvana
Of Divine Immanence
Infinite Burn, Eternal Grace
God Speed

Return to “Open Discussion”