Playa-dippity

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Sham

Playa-dippity

Post by Sham » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:54 am

So many unexplainable things happen in BRC and it's called playa-dippity.

A few years back, we picked up a random woman walking out in the deep playa and gave her a lift on our camp art car. She was trying desperately to find a friend of hers. Her friend was from Atlanta and she told me her name. By shear playa-dippity, her friend's tent was directly next to mine. I brought her back to my camp and brought them together.

I've seen people run out of sunblock and almost instantaneously, someone walks by and offers sunblock.

Can others share their playa-dippity stories here, as a camp mate of mine is working on a book of these stories.

Canoe

Re: Playa-dippity

Post by Canoe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:49 am

A camp's water delivery fell through (awol?).
Someone had extra water...
2010 - needed water.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:50 am

Walking in the heat of the afternoon sun, with empty glasses.
Glasses filled.
(this must happen thousands of times)
glasses empty = glasses filled - sm.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:00 am

I had bottled water, Gatoraid, mugs, Emergen-C, sunscreen on a small wagon/cooler towed behind my bike. I'd setup wherever on the playa. People would watch others pick up whatever, then come over and give me more stuff to handout to others: honey sticks, vinegar packets, pedialyte, more sunblock, mugs, t-shirts, art-photos from prior years, trinkets, stickers, etc..

The Panda came to inspect what I was handing out and gave a dance. :)
(Why don't they buy a white polar bear suit for daytime use.)

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:08 pm

This year, a photographer with a clearly expensive camera came into our camp. He said he photographs camp architecture for a book he's working on. He had a very unusual, laser cut necklace with the Burning Man logo cut out of it. I asked him about it. Did he remember when, where under what circumstances he got it. He remembers nothing except he got it several years ago and it's the only one he ever wears.

The playa-dippity part is that I made that necklace and must have given it to him along the way many years back. No recollection of the circumstances, but it was definitely one of mine.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:59 pm

I've told this elsewhere, but I'll go ahead and contribute it here as well. This happened back in 2016.

I was frustrated, because I had been meaning for several days to wander over to my former camp to visit my friend K, who lives in a different state and whom I hadn't seen in far too long. Seemed like every time I was ready to head in her direction, something else got in the way.

So that morning, my jobs at camp were done, and I got ready to head over to look for K. And just like clockwork, just as I start to walk out of our main shade structure, a very tired, confused, lost, and plainly dehydrated woman walks in, clearly in need of help.

We sat her down in the shade and got some water into her, and as she began to recover her story began to come out. She was a virgin burner, at a major crossroads in her personal life, and had met a new friend just three days earlier who (having a spare ticket) invited her to come out to the burn for the first time.

While she'd done a stellar job getting everything she needed for the week together on such short notice, she was now several days in and experiencing the typical virgin crash. She hadn't drunk quite enough water, hadn't had quite enough sleep, had probably gotten a little too much sun, and so was now over-extended and bonking. For reasons we still don't know, somebody over at center camp had sent her over to look for us.

After a while I can see she's rehydrated, but still feeling wobbly and in need of a friendly ear, so I took her back to one of the stations for a headwash. As I washed, she asked me how many years I'd been going and if I'd always been with Astral, and I happened to mention my old camp's name. Her eyes lit up, and she said "I've heard of them! I was actually trying to find them this morning before I got all mixed up! Do you know where they are? One of my best friends camps there but she came out with DPW weeks ago and doesn't know I'm here, have you ever met K?"

Once I stopped laughing and was able to breath again, I explained to her that not only was the person she was seeking one of my favorite people on the planet, but that I'd just been on my way to go visit her, so I'd be happy to take her there myself.

Upon our arrival, K and I immediately spot each other and she comes over for a hug. Realizing she hadn't seen our (now mutual) friend yet, I let go, stepped back, and said "and hey, I brought a surprise"!

K paused, staring back and forth in confusion between us for a few seconds, the silent internal monologue clear as a bell on her face: "Wait, you two don't know each other. I don't think you know each other? Do you know each other? You don't live within a thousand miles of each other. She doesn't go to Burning Man. How on earth are you here together?", followed by a just as obvious "Oh... wait. I'm on the playa. This kind of shit just happens." look of relief before pulling the new arrival in for an embrace as well.

Do I love the art and the creativity and the exhilaration of the burn? Damned right I do - but it's this kind of thing that makes it feel magical.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 pm

2008, my first burn. After 3 days of late nights I was out on the Esplanade alone, having lost my friends as so often happens. I decided to call it an early night and was walking back to camp when I heard "I love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett playing from a club. One of my favorites so I decided to run in and have a listen. I was on the 2nd story catwalk looking down when I spotted this woman dancing wildly on the floor below. She was beautiful! I just knewIi had to dance with her so I went down and worked my way in front of her and began to dance. The vibe was immediate and we probably danced for an hour, then took a break. And well the rest? The rest is we fell in love and were married on the playa in 2011. This past Burn was our 10th anniversary. And I've never been happier!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Papa Bear
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm

I don't know if it qualifies as unexplainable "playadipity", but one more:

My first year, back in '03, I camped with a massage/yoga camp of about 60 people. The camp was organized such that we had a lot of common infrastructure, including shade, kitchen, and a simple shower - essentially just a pallet on on evap pond with a pole overhead for your solar shower and a curtain around it all. Turned out everyone liked to shower just before dinner, so there was sometimes a bit of a wait.

Fast forward to '04, and I was with the same camp again - but this time the population was nearly double what it was the prior year. We'd scaled up all of the other infrastructure, including the evap pond, but nobody had thought to scale up the shower structure. Once we realized this, the camp organizer made a half-tongue-in-cheek announcement during lunch suggesting that everyone "shower with a friend" to reduce the waiting time.

So, that evening, I'm waiting in line for a shower. Ahead of me are several quite attractive women new to the camp who are chatting amongst themselves and apparently have decided to follow that advice. As one finishes and leaves, the next steps in to help rinse the other off, and so forth.

Finally, I'm the one next up, waiting for the two women ahead of me to finish. One steps out, and I continue to wait (because hey, I'm not going to assume a woman I've never met wants me in the shower with her).

At this point, the woman still in the shower turns around, pulls the curtain open, points at me, jerks her thumb back toward the shower, and in a thick Australian accent says "You! Get your ass in here!".

And *that's* the story of how I met my wife.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Papa Bear wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm
And *that's* the story of how I met my wife.
Hahaha, that's a great story!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 am

Let me toss another one here:

When I travel to BRC, I dress in business attire. Button down shirt, slacks etc. It helps with renting a car.
I fly from the east coast, and at the airport I look for burner types heading to Burning Man and sit near them. In 2017, I saw I guy who was clearly heading to the playa. (cup with his license taped to it and so on)
I struck up a conversation and asked if he was going on a camping trip. It turned out it was his first time going to Burning Man. I asked every dumb question as to what it was. Is it at a hotel? How many people go to this thing? How much are tickets? Would this be something I would like? Am I too old to go to this? I was having fun with this guy. I finally told him I was going. Gave him a few gifts.

In 2018, this guy comes up to me on the playa and asks if I know who he is. Yes, my airport buddy trolled me back! I deserved it! :shock:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Talking to a younger than me burner as I hung art on the Home, turns out that years ago, we had both been at the Battle of the Bands at the International High School in Tokyo at the the same time! She as a student, me as a chaperone from a visiting school. Small world.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:30 am

I have so many....and yet, what sticks with me, is I've made some wonderful friends there....people I would never have met (I'm pretty sure). This, is the best, for me.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm not sure if cross posting this is ok, but this is my best Playa-dippity story:

Late one night a young woman spent several hours in our bar. She apparently had a great time and said she liked our bar so much she would come back with swag the next day, and that it had her picture on it. Thinking that putting a photo of ones self on swag for Burning Man gifting was rather odd, I asked why it had her picture. She replied that she was famous on Youtube.

This instantly triggered my snark gland so I told her that I'm rather famous myself, and in a fit of gross exaggeration said that half the people in Black Rock City knew me - by name. I could see the doubt on her face, although she didn't actually call me on it.

Another hour passed and when it started getting light out we all decided to go next door and toast the sunrise with some picklebacks. So we are standing there in the street and there wasn't another soul moving the entire length of 4:00. Suddenly a guy comes around the corner of G and is walking down the opposite side of 4:00. When he was almost directly across the street he looks up, sees me, yells Brand X! (my playa name), and comes running over.

Much to my surprise and delight, the first words out of his mouth were "I know you from Youtube". The look on her face was priceless, we all chatted a while, had some picklebacks, and as usual I missed the actual sunrise. She never did return with the swag though.

The funniest part of it all is that I've never posted anything to Youtube, although he probably knew me from my BM Birgin Guide web site. This couldn't have gone better if I had scripted it. I doubt I will ever have a better BM story than this.

Sometimes the stars just align for you.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

ahmed11
Camp Name: Harvard

Post by ahmed11 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:38 am

Great thread

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:09 am

I met Bobbin (Drawing a Blank) for the first time at the budget truck in Reno, also met Jungle Smacks for the first time there too.

You’ll always be Bobbin to me :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 am

lucky420 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:09 am
I met Bobbin (Drawing a Blank) for the first time at the budget truck in Reno, also met Jungle Smacks for the first time there too.

You’ll always be Bobbin to me :D
me too.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Three years back, I was in a hopeless line waiting to get in the gate in my rental car. The line was at least a mile long and 8 lanes across. The car immediately behind me, just by shear playa-dippity, was a camp mate and our unofficial bartender and his wife. We had cups and he had all the drinks we needed (non-alcoholic of course). With a few other camp mates nearby, and some people in other cars, our Burning Man adventure started earlier than we anticipated.
Honestly, what are the chances of having them randomly in the car behind us with 70K people attending?

Return to “Stories”