Theme Camp or Join?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
LeonardPotato
Burning Since: 2017

Theme Camp or Join?

Post by LeonardPotato » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am

My first burn was 2017 and I went solo.

For my next burn, I am thinking about setting up a theme camp. Would be relatively small, only open 3 days, but I don't want to return without making a contribution. I think my setup would be inexpensive, so cost is not a concern. What I am trying to determine is if doing a new camp would be a better experience than joining an existing camp? Anyone start a camp and regret it? Join a camp and regret it? Have a snarky comment that doesn't advance the conversation?
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Theme Camp or Join?

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Personally, I don't think of a theme camp as open a limited number of days or being a one year endeavor. I'd suggest you join an existing theme camp and get a better idea of how they are set up and run.

I'm assuming when you say "theme camp" you mean a placed camp. And having a three-day camp will not qualify for placement. If you are thinking of just getting a bunch of people together, pulling up on the playa and setting up in an open camping area, that might be the way for you to go.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

LeonardPotato
Burning Since: 2017

Post by LeonardPotato » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Hey! Thanks for the response.

My meaning by open 3 days would be limited scheduled events. Always "Open". I would limit it simply to have a proof of concept vs going big year one and not attracting any attention or having a flop of a camp. Not sure where the 1 year thing is from, but I would love to keep it going if it was a success. I thought any camp that made the WWW was considered a Theme camp, perhaps I have the terminology wrong. I don't think it would qualify for placement and would be more of a show up and set up. I would just want to be in the WWW so people knew there was something planned. I am definitely open to joining an existing camp though if I am under estimating the scope of what it takes.
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Be careful about putting an event in the book unless you're completely ready for a possible massive influx of people descending upon your camp, depending on what you're offering of course... Maybe just try the immediate neighborhood and passers-by see how that goes.

My small camp did a grilled cheese party in the www book once...

We were ill-prepared for what would happen next.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:16 pm

Here is one way to do it. Find some friends and plan to camp together. Plan for everyone to be self sufficient if necessary. Have everyone participate in your 3 events. They can share in the preplaya prep work or expense. You don't need the www to be a hit. If it works out you can ask for placement in the future, name the camp, plan events together, share a shade structure and grow. We chose to stay small. No drama no dues.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Some friends and I started a little camp a few years back.

It's a rabbit hole.

Do you go in? The choice is yours.

FYI, you can't go back out, only through.

edit: photo credit to Duncan Rawlinson

Sarge

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:49 pm

I come from the "Try & Succeed, Try & Fail, just as long as you Try" school of thought. So I say go for it.

Failing spectacularly out on playa? Well, that's how legends are made.

And yeah, if you're giving away free food and/or free drugs and put it into the book, expect an onslaught of demand. For perspective, we did a meet & greet event in the 2018 book with no food or drugs, and got about 20 to show up.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”